Mobile Base for a 3 in 1 lathe mill

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

JoeFL77

Mobile Base for a 3 in 1 lathe mill

Post by JoeFL77 »

Hello,
I am new to metal machining trying to figure out if this is possible.

I have a used Grizzly G0516 3 in 1 that I would like to put on a mobile base to move occasionally on my concrete shop floor. I don’t think I will need very, very precision all the time and will only move it about occasionally.

The Grizzly G0516 is 390 pounds and 44 X 23.

I have been reading about leveling. Also, I am not sure how much a machine of this size will twist if the base twists or the weight will cause the twist. Can a base be made rigid enough to resist twist and use shims under the casters or attach the casters in such a way that the height is adjustable. The floor should be fairly level so the adjust should be no more than ¼ inch.

I saw this in youtube and it look fairly strong because of all the box structures.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vXo_uHe ... ex=2&t=16s

I have also thought of welding a stand using square tubing in a ladder fashion to resist twist.

I will also separate the vertical mill and attach it to the large table from thelittlemachineshop. Possibly adding to the same base or building a separate base.

Any thoughts or ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Joe W
Bill_Cook

Re: Mobile Base for a 3 in 1 lathe mill

Post by Bill_Cook »

I have a few machines mounted on mobile bases, but none of them are very sensitive to an imperfect floor. The bases allow for a rough adjustment to prevent rocking.
Stand01.jpg
I do have an old 11 inch swing by 36 inch between centers Sheldon lathe built during the Second World War. The tail end of the bed is supported on a spherical mount. It wouldn't be affected by a twisting floor such as in a ship or say a truck. A lathe being level isn't an issue, as I gather you have read. Rather, it's twist in the bed that can cause problems. On a mill, level isn't an issue at all, although it can be handy in some setups.
Spherical Mount01.jpg
Spherical Mount02.jpg
BC

If there was only one way to do each machining job, the smell of sulphurized cutting oil smoke would have fewer fond memories.
spro

Post by spro »

There shouldn't be much twist of a bed this short. Roll it where it lands and basic leveling. Metal shims under a wheel or two and go for it.
This is different than having it all secured tight but better than it rocking around.
JoeFL77

Post by JoeFL77 »

Bill,
Thanks for the information. I was hoping to eliminate the twist by building a stand rigid enough to resist it.

Spro,
I was hoping a lathe this short would not have too much of a twist issue.

I just may make the stand and put a 12 inch wide steel plate around the top of the stand vertically. Making a strong steel box. Something that I could do with my limited skills.

Thanks,
Joe W
SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham »

You're not going to have problems. It's only 390 pounds. I had a guy who weighed 700 in the passenger seat of my truck. If you can make a bench that will hold up two girls who like ice cream, you can make one that will hold up this lathe.

You could even use two-by-fours if you wanted.

I would think that as long as the top is rigid and you can adjust the height of the machine's feet, you will be fine.
Every hard-fried egg began life sunny-side up.
Bob D.

Post by Bob D. »

Go for three point contact on the floor and it will never teeter. Might want to consider a lock down foot for between the swivel casters. Brings them slightly off the floor, establishes three point contact and does a better job locking the base down than most casters with brakes. Mount the fixed wheels slightly lower(shim) so things are level when the foot is down. You don't want to chase the machine around using it. You won't have a problem making a strong enough table. A piece of Butcher block laminated bench top works nice and is quiet. Don't bolt the machine down to your bench top if it isn't flat without some shims.
3/4" Juliet II 0-4-0
3/4" Purinton Mogul "Pogo"
3/4" Hall Class 10 wheeler
3/4" Evans Caribou/Buffalo 2-8-0
3/4" Sweet Violet 0-4-0
3/4" Hunslet 4-6-0
3/4" Kozo A3. Delayed construction project

1 1/2" A5 Camelback 0-4-0