Need to broach a square hole...

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

Mike Walsh

Need to broach a square hole...

Post by Mike Walsh »

Hi all,

I'm working on a electro-pneumatic semaphore signal for a railroad. I've been asked to machine new bushings for the shaft.

My issue is the shaft is a 3/4" square shaft. I am trying to determine the best way to broach this opening.

The bearing will be 1-3/8" in length, which is a pretty substantial length to broach. If it was shorter I might try machining the square bore, but that is not the case here.

I've found that the broach is $500 from McMaster Carr.

I am far from a real machine shop - I just have a lathe, vertical mill, and a horizontal mill, and I don't need this 3/4" broach after these few bushings.

Does anyone have any ideas on how to achieve my goal? I have found that some outfits offer hardened steel bushings with square bores, but I need a bronze material.

Alternatively, if anyone has a 3/4" Broach and would be willing to broach the material that I provide, I would appreciate any help you can provide.

Thoughts?

Thank you in advance,
Mike Walsh
carlquib

Re: Need to broach a square hole...

Post by carlquib »

Drill a hole to the diameter across your flats and then use the lathe carriage to shape the corners. If you put the work in a four jaw you can use the jaws to index the part. It actually goes pretty quick, if you only have a few parts to make. I generally just grind a tool from high speed steel for these jobs.

My name is Brian and I'm a toolaholic.

Bob D.

Post by Bob D. »

Layout your square hole. Drill out the corners with say a 1/8 drill. Put in the lathe, drill/bore 3/4” center hole. Use the lathe as a shaper to broach out the remaining indexing the chuck 90 deg. with a HSS tool. Finish up with some filing.
3/4" Juliet II 0-4-0
3/4" Purinton Mogul "Pogo"
3/4" Hall Class 10 wheeler
3/4" Evans Caribou/Buffalo 2-8-0
3/4" Sweet Violet 0-4-0
3/4" Hunslet 4-6-0
3/4" Kozo A3. Delayed construction project

1 1/2" A5 Camelback 0-4-0
Russ Hanscom

Post by Russ Hanscom »

Make two channel shaped halfs, 3/8" deep and 3/4" wide, using the mill, then silver solder together.
LIALLEGHENY

Post by LIALLEGHENY »

Try V W Broaching Service in Chicago Il.
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

You might consider the use of a square holed sleeve (assuming it is available in bronze, that is!). Depending on your design, it may serve the purpose.

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
armscor 1

Post by armscor 1 »

Drill the 3/4" hole and grind a lead on a piece of 3/4" HSS and press the tool through the hole, recently did a 3/8" mm square hole and came out perfectly.
whateg0

Post by whateg0 »

Not sure if it's worthwhile, but the Clickspring guy showed how to make a square broach. Not a lot of material involved. Probably faster to do it on the lathe or mill, though. You can use the quill the same way as the carriage on the lathe, except that you get control of x and y on the mill.
Mike Walsh

Post by Mike Walsh »

Thanks for the advice guys. Got it squared way (ba-dum-*tss*).

I will post photos of the finished workpiece when I am done :)