Smearing On Cutter Block After Using Evapo-Rust

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

pollys1dad

Smearing On Cutter Block After Using Evapo-Rust

Post by pollys1dad »

I soaked a tenoner machine cutter block in Evapo-Rust. It did a good job but has left a sort of smeary finish on the metal. I tried wiping off with white spirit,no joy. Will upload photo Saturday, late here in UK Friday night 23:30.
TomB

Re: Smearing On Cutter Block After Using Evapo-Rust

Post by TomB »

I've seen that "smeary finish" on things that came out of my Evaporust bucket. I've tried several things to clear it away but nothing seemed to have any effect. I've decided I like the "smeary white " finish, but I will look forward to reading other responses to your question.
pollys1dad

Post by pollys1dad »

OK thanks, so do I, bit busy today, also out and about, didn't have time to photo the cutter block, will do on Sunday.
pollys1dad

Post by pollys1dad »

Here are some photos showing the smeary effect.
Attachments
A.JPG
B.JPG
C.JPG
tornitore45

Post by tornitore45 »

From a guy that almost flunked HS chemistry.
Possibly Evaporust works by some chemical reaction that convert the Iron Oxide into an Iron Compound or Oxigen Compound (with element coming from Evaporust). In such case the film must be quite bonded to the surface, not something than can be dissolved or washed away.
Mauro Gaetano
in Austin TX
pollys1dad

Post by pollys1dad »

OK thanks.
spro

Post by spro »

Btw, Nice tenon cutter head. I hadn't seen one like that (but i don't get around much). It appears to incorporate separate "knives" for a sharp shoulder.
choprboy

Post by choprboy »

Rust removers generally convert "rust", Fe2O3, into other softer/dissolvable (usually black) iron oxides, iron sulfate, and iron phosphates. Those may leave a staining on the surface, but should hopefully should come off with more clean rust remover, a light acid (though that may cause an immediate revert to rust), or mechanical cleaning (i.e. wire brushing).
pollys1dad

Post by pollys1dad »

spro wrote: Sun Nov 10, 2019 6:14 pm Btw, Nice tenon cutter head. I hadn't seen one like that (but i don't get around much). It appears to incorporate separate "knives" for a sharp shoulder.
Yes, for a British made machine, Multico TM1 tenon cutting machine, can get TM3 too. TM1 is single phase 240v, TM3 is 3 phase 440v.
Won the auction on Ebay £102, good price, new all in £276.
Came with a box load of cutters too, cutters new are pretty expensive too.
Cut the moulds on spindle moulder, you guys call them wood shapers. The tenoner cuts the tendon, with matching scribe cutters, to match up with the moulds. Attached photo of cutters that came with cutter block, got the Multico machine, very good condition from home workshop at bottom of garden, Ebay seller stripped down, new bearings, drive belts, cleaned, serviced, perfect working order, at a very reasonable price, very versatile machine.
Attached couple of photos of machine. Also have new surface planer, another quality, British made machine. The old one had problems spent ages trying to sort out, in end they collected to repair, after a while, said would be sending me out a brand new machine?
I couldn't sort the machine and neither could their service engineers...uum. Well as soon as replacement arrived I checked it, several things were out. I thought, oh no, not again. I then noticed they are a dealership for Sedgwick machines as well. So they gave me a full refund and I had too bang another £1500 on top, total about £2600, ( can get a pretty decent car for that :) ) That said I avoided a courier charge as when they collected the faulty one, they delivered the Sedgwick. So they happy with deal I was happy with deal, so all good. New they are now £3600. Sedgwick have a reputation as being top quality, accurate British engineering. I checked when got it, tables perfectly in line, cast iron fence perfectly square to infeed table.
Sorry did try to rotate Multico photos but didn't work out.
Nice machine... but means bread and water for the next year :)
Attachments
Multico &  Cutters.JPG
Multico TM1 A.JPG
Multico TM1 B.JPG
Sedgwick Planer.JPG
spro

Post by spro »

Hi. :) I'm glad that I mentioned it. Looks like you hit the jackpot with that head and all those blades, knives and such. Very grand equipment/ wood working machinery too. Thanks for the story and the pix.
pollys1dad

Post by pollys1dad »

OK :) Is nice too have the tools for the job.
Cary Stewart

Post by Cary Stewart »

No knowledge here just a guess. Could this be micro etching?
While I am here I will relate a sad experience. I purchased a used Starrett No. 56 small surface gage in nice condition except the bottom and edges were pretty much rusted. What did I do? I soaked the base in Evapo-rust. It did indeed clean the rust but, having dunked the whole thing in the stuff for about an hour I was dismayed to see that the pretty color case had faded to almost gone and all surfaces had that satin finish described here. Now if I had followed the instructions and thought about it some more before I dunked the base I would have instead placed the base on a pad made from paper toweling that was saturated with the E-R I would have saved the color and removed the rust from the bottom surface. We live and learn.
Cary