Lamp Stand.

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

armscor 1

Lamp Stand.

Post by armscor 1 »

My quality built DTI flexible extension, totally impractical for it's intended use has found a new home.
Attachments
20191117_071811.jpg
whateg0

Re: Lamp Stand.

Post by whateg0 »

I like it. I want to come up with a better lamp for the 10ee than the desk lamp I'm using now. It's better than nothing. A friend of mine is making some custom desk lamps now and found a vendor for the flexible neck tubing so I was thinking of using that but I like your use of the locking flexible thing. Too bad the cord couldn't be run through it.
liveaboard

Post by liveaboard »

A friend of mine in Amsterdam [Holland] has a shop selling second hand furniture + lighting. Old industrial lights are very popular; also dentists, surgery, and lathe lamps.
So an old lathe lamp, with a stiff flex steel neck and a 4" shade, that once was bolted to a cross slide, sells for... $200!!!!!!!
I was pretty shocked.
I found an Ikea hologen 12v desk light in the trash while walking my dog. It's got a long arm with an elbow in the middle and it's ok.
earlgo

Post by earlgo »

My lamp holder is a section of 3/4" LocLine coolant hose. It works really well and is easily adjusted.
Locline lamp
Locline lamp
A similar one is on the Delta T&C grinder.
--earlgo
Before you do anything, you must do something else first. - Washington's principle.
pete

Post by pete »

A couple of good examples of using spare machinist related components for what your needing. I like it.

Quite awhile ago I ran across a picture on Pinterest of a couple of lathe lights made by using chrome plated chevy small block engine valve covers, AN fittings and braided line used for the cord cover with frosted plastic covering opening for the internal led's. They used the normal 1/2" - 9/16" bolts through the bolt holes and nuts to hold the frosted plastic in place.