Interrupted Cut Removes Tool Point

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

SteveM

Re: Interrupted Cut Removes Tool Point

Post by SteveM »

Instead of holding it on the outside where you are crushing the part, flip the jaws and hold the inside of the corners going out. Tighten the jaws slowly and evenly to avoid warping the part.

You can even take measurements to see if the part has changed dimensions.

Steve
TRX

Post by TRX »

I bought some import "HSS" bits that looked perfectly normal, bright ground finish. They're apparently plain steel; aluminum will wear away the edge quickly, and they won't really cut mild steel at all, just gouging troughs after the edge rounds off.
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

HSS is typically so hard you can't touch it with a file. Have you tried that?
It's not that I doubt you--just curious. If it is HSS, you should see tracks in the file where it has destroyed the teeth. I expect you won't see that.
Damned shame how low some people can get, in the name of making a buck.

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
John Hasler

Post by John Hasler »

I have a set of "coated" drill bits purchased at a yard sale that are like that. My guess is that they are high carbon steel that never got heat-treated due to a manufacturing screwup.

Fortunately the index they were in was worth the $2.