Anodizing Power Supply?

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

kroll

Anodizing Power Supply?

Post by kroll »

Guys I am adventuring into anodizing which I did a search here about just the process and been watching several Youtubes. All this is on a hobbyist level and not on Nasa level. So just a basic anodizing,which takes me to the first of my needs and that's the Power Supply. I haven't been able to find much info other than what is on Caswell website which is mostly selling theirs. I am going to only anodize aluminum so I guess the goal is to buy power supply with higher amps capacity which does come at cost.Can I purchase one with little lower amp capacity and just anodize longer? Can someone suggest a Power Supply such as size,brand,etc My budget is around 150.00 more or less,been looking at them on ebay which does look promising but I have no knowledge of any of this so thought I would ask before buying.Thanks for any guidance,direction and suggestions to any links,websites on anodizing
kroll

Re: Anodizing Power Supply?

Post by kroll »

Here is what I am looking at,but is it the right one?
http://www.mastechpowersupply.com/volte ... -p138.html
John Hasler

Post by John Hasler »

I haven't tried anodizing yet but from what I've read you can't simply trade off time for current because the finish depends on the current density.

That one looks suitable to me.

I recently scored a couple of big honk'in programmable supplies (one 0-20 V 0-20 A, the other 0-60 V 0-60 A) so I may give anodizing a try soon. I intend to use those primarily for ECM, though.
chief

Post by chief »

I haven't tried it myself, but in a lot of the video's I've seen, folks use automotive battery chargers. Usually fairly simple and inexpensive ones, some of the higher end ones are too smart, they know when they're not hooked to a battery. LoL

If you already have a charger, you might give it a try on a test piece.

Chief
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

the first question to be asked is:

how many square inches of material are you going to anodize on the largest part?

Once you know that...you can work backwards....
Too many things going on to bother listing them.