Fire Danger

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

liveaboard

Re: Fire Danger

Post by liveaboard »

curtis cutter wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 5:18 pm Simply a spark skitting across the floor and into light debris is a frequent culprit.
Most of my shop fires start that way.

Angle grinders start a surprising number; not to mention ruining windows far away and not at all in the line of the sparks.
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

ever seen a CNC lathe cutting titanium literally explode in a ball of fire?
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
liveaboard

Post by liveaboard »

I strongly suspect that neither cnc lathes nor titanium are in my future; but it sounds like a lot of fun.
curtis cutter

Post by curtis cutter »

Bill Shields wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 6:50 pm ever seen a CNC lathe cutting titanium literally explode in a ball of fire?
That would be a challenge to extinguish. Compounded by if the building had a fire sprinkler system and any debris on the floor.
Gregg
Just let go of it, it will eventually unplug itself.
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

How does a titanium fire respond to water? I know, from personal experience, that the situation described above would border on the impossible to extinguish should the material be magnesium.

If you haven't witnessed water being introduced to a magnesium fire, you haven't lived!

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
curtis cutter

Post by curtis cutter »

Harold_V wrote: Fri Dec 13, 2019 4:55 pm How does a titanium fire respond to water? I know, from personal experience, that the situation described above would border on the impossible to extinguish should the material be magnesium.

If you haven't witnessed water being introduced to a magnesium fire, you haven't lived!

H
Probably 25 years ago our FD crews responded to two burn victims. The father son team who installed chain link fences were putting a fence around a business and using a circular abrasive saw. Some of the sparks went into the dumpster of an adjacent machine shop. The dumpster was filled with magnesium turnings and sparks started the dumpster on fire. The two grabbed a garden hose to extinguish the fire. Both father and son perished that day.
Gregg
Lew Hartswick

Post by Lew Hartswick »

I can imagine that one of the big problems with any "Makerspace" is that everyone thinks they are an "expert" in any field that comes up.
:-( As my one and only (very recent) experience at one of them shows . :-(
...lew...
John Hasler

Post by John Hasler »

There are reportedly some that will not permit you to use any machine in their shop until you sit through their training course on that specific machine.
curtis cutter

Post by curtis cutter »

Gregg
warmstrong1955

Post by warmstrong1955 »

curtis cutter wrote: Sat Dec 14, 2019 1:01 pm Unlike using a gas pump...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XRjNdgA ... PzYr_HYwcM

This is why we have warning labels, like the ones on food, that state: "DANGER! Contents will be hot after heating!"
Today's solutions are tomorrow's problems.