Gorton 375 Grinder Spindle Disassembly

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

SteveHGraham

Gorton 375 Grinder Spindle Disassembly

Post by SteveHGraham »

Haven't been around for a while. Hope everyone is doing well. I'm here with a repair question.

I got myself a Gorton 375 tool grinder. Mine is one of the later ones with no oiler on the spindle. When it arrived today, I found that the spindle bearings were shot.

I got the spindle out of the machine, and I removed the front of the arbor. I got the pulley off the other end and exposed the bearing on that side. That's as far as I got.

The back of the arbor is still on the machine. I don't know how to get it off, and I'm afraid to put pressure on it until I do. Beyond it, there is a cylinder which looks like it would accept a hook spanner, which I have. Under the cylinder, there is a huge nut which looks like it would work with a face spanner with square pins, if I could find one.

The big nut looks like it has right-hand threads. I have no idea about the threading, if any, on the cylinder. I don't know what's holding the arbor on. The pulley on the other end was just pressed on, and the fit was not tight. Tapping it lightly with a hammer made it come right out.

Even if I find out how this thing is put together, I need some way of holding the shaft so it doesn't turn while I unscrew things, and I have to be able to do it without marring it.

I read that this machine uses common bearings, so if I can get the spindle apart, I should be okay.

Sound off if you have any clues for me.
02 04 20 Gorton 375 grinder end of spindle 02 small.jpg
Every hard-fried egg began life sunny-side up.