Diacro Model 24 (24" x 16ga steel) finger brake - making fingers

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

BadDog

Diacro Model 24 (24" x 16ga steel) finger brake - making fingers

Post by BadDog »

High, my name is Russ, and I'm an addict...

I don't do a tremendous amount of sheet metal work, and for what I do, I've mostly made do by using my press brake and welding. But recently I took and opportunity to buy a pretty nice Diacro box/pan (aka finger) brake. Most of it is in great condition, but it's missing over half the fingers. So, I'm planning on sourcing material and just making my own.

The question is, what material to use to maintain the original rating. The finished pieces will require material to be a minimum of 4.25" x 1.25" x [width]. I'm guessing they are OEM hardened and annealed carbon steel. But that's not going to come cheaply for material, or process. And I'm not sure that's even necessary.

So, I'm wondering if 4140 would be good in a non-manufacturing setup, but still bend 16ga steel? Or maybe the minimum is 4140 PH? Or better still?

Any thoughts appreciated.
Russ
Master Floor Sweeper
choprboy

Re: Diacro Model 24 (24" x 16ga steel) finger brake - making fingers

Post by choprboy »

My HF grade 52"x16ga finger brake appears to just uses 3/4" thick (as I recall) fingers that appear to be a plain cold rolled steel (probably 1018 or similar). The fingers are not hardened.
whateg0

Re: Diacro Model 24 (24" x 16ga steel) finger brake - making fingers

Post by whateg0 »

The only areas the hardness should matter much is where it's contacting the work. If you do a lot of hard stuff or tough to bend still like stainless, I might expect it to deform the edge a little, but I've made a lot of parts in different materials with brake clamping bars made of mild steel angle, reinforced for stiffness, of course.

Dave