Drilling Hole In Sandblast Cabinet For Bulkhead Adapter

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

RickBarb

Re: Drilling Hole In Sandblast Cabinet For Bulkhead Adapter

Post by RickBarb »

I have a small cheapo HF blast cabinet. I wanted to bead blast a rifle barrel and action. Obviously, the cabinet was too small. I knew an electrician that had the punch equipment. He punched a 4" hole in the side of my cabinet that allowed me to do the gun 1/2 at a time. In case you are wondering how I kept the media in the cabinet, I got a PVC flange with a screw plug and fastened it to the cabinet. When in use, I took a section of inner tube and slipped it over the flange, slide the gun into the cabinet and tied off the end of the tube, blasted half of it and then reversed the procedure. When finished, remove the inner tube, screw the plug back in to seal the cabinet! Crude, but it worked for me. "Poor folks have poor ways!" Rick
pollys1dad

Post by pollys1dad »

" Poor folks have poor ways!" :)
spro

Post by spro »

Since I mentioned these punch sets, I should mention some variations. I have plenty nib 1/2" "D" shape for potentiometers ( remember them :), 7/8" and 1 5/32" .Other sizes to about 2" but these are old style without the thrust bearing. The bolt has a wider skirt so any lubricant there is fine. The main thing is the thread and cutting surfaces be oiled. I've seen some used "kits" for sale but upon inspection, they are worn from use. The punch-die /shearing action needs to be good.
Grinding the punch is helpful. Steep sharp edges but the die has seen lots of work as receptor to that punch.
spro

Post by spro »

This all blows and doesn't mean anything . Critters trying to penetrate entrance. I told them . About 10 seconds and they were back at it.
Sort of interesting but damaging. Coring out the mortar.
spro

Re: Drilling Hole In Sandblast Cabinet

Post by spro »

Please please forgive me . You made the points. I could only mention what already happened. The scritch scratch and never got a letter back. These critters akin to beavers, do penetrate. I told them in many languages.
It is all timed to a certain cycle . In a way, I do love these squirrels .
spro

Post by spro »

Blond squirrels. innovation. Big Dave would be on this.
It already happened.
spro

Post by spro »

More silent. Wonderful airguns. One pop and too bad they worked all that time. I think it is a cycle and they are confused as are we. Moving into spring now. Cherry blossoms already rained and newer ones from other trees are coming forward. There is always something else blooming to lift our days ahead. They don't know the viri we suffer and thank goodness we don't put them down.