Tapping Heads Tapmatic A5 and ?

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

ctwo

Tapping Heads Tapmatic A5 and ?

Post by ctwo »

This is from a long ago post I made here. I've had these heads and want to know what collets they need and where to get?

Also, when I look at the tapmatic site, they list these collets that I think would work:
M3 - M12
#6 - 1/2"
22000 4.5–8.0 Extra
22100 3.5–6.5 Standard
22200 6.5–10.0 Standard
22300 2.0–4.5 Extra

But I do not know why the second standard collet does not go to 12mm (the sizes are in mm). When they list #6, does that mean a 6-32 tap, for example? Also, do the "Extra" collets mean that they hold taps like a 2-56 or 4-40?

I'm not sure how to insert the old photos here, but links are below. Not sure what brand the aluminum head is.

https://www.chaski.org/homemachinist/do ... =29515&t=1

https://www.chaski.org/homemachinist/do ... =29516&t=1
Standards are so important that everyone must have their own...
To measure is to know - Lord Kelvin
Disclaimer: I'm just a guy with a few machines...
ctwo

Re: Tapping Heads Tapmatic A5 and ?

Post by ctwo »

Something I'm missing about the tapmatic. It looks like it has the smaller collet, but I see nothing behind that collet for holding the tap square and no screws from the side. This site has instructions with references to back jaw and back jaw screw. It might be that I have the quick change spindle with the QC Adapter (assuming the TIC adapters are different and not necessary), but am missing the QC adapter jaws. I've not figured out what the knurled collar does - it can rotate into three positions relative to the spindle.

http://www.tools-n-gizmos.com/specs/Tapmatic_A.html

I thought the other one might be Procunier, but have not found a match. It takes a larger collet, but there is no collet or any drive jaws inside that I can see.

Oh, I found this topic, so The Quadtapper: viewtopic.php?t=100236 will be looking for collets.
ctwo

Post by ctwo »

I see how it's supposed to be configured now that I figured out what the knurled collar was for - to release a ball bearing stop.

I need another collet and ten of the adapter jaws. I suppose a shop would have 10 of the QC adapter assemblies set up with a variety of taps and then just pop them in as needed. The jaw I have will not work with the collet so I suppose I will make jaws, or maybe I'll make one jaw with set screws on each side, and look for the larger collet to make it complete.
tapmatic-20200221_045333.jpg
The Procunier has a set screw and movable jaws, but unfortunately the threads for the collet nut are chowdered up and might need welding and recutting. The spindle is about 1-1/8" at the widest and looks like the same Jacobs taper, so I need to figure out what collets it needs. I bet it can accommodate 1/2" to 3/4" taps but not sure.
ctwo

Post by ctwo »

Looks like I'll need J44x and J42x collets.

http://www.tools-n-gizmos.com/specs/RF_Collet.html
Russ Hanscom

Post by Russ Hanscom »

Not sure I follow. I have a Tapmatic head, and with the two Jacobs type collets, it covers all taps up to 1/4". The collets grip the tap shank, no square adapters needed.

I have a similar Ridgid tapping head that covers from 1/4" to 1/2", and again it has two Jacobs type collets and the taps are held by gripping the tap shank.
ctwo

Post by ctwo »

I've read this general concept about the rubber flex collets in a couple of places, but from my link above: " they are not designed to handle large rotational forces. So most Rubber-Flex chucks employ independent "back-chuck" (square hole, tang slot, setscrews, etc.) to counter tool rotation in the chuck/collet."

I think the numerous square adapters is convenient for production facilities where more variables are eliminated.
Russ Hanscom

Post by Russ Hanscom »

Never had a problem with a tap slipping but half a dozen holes is a typical run for me. If I rarely changed sizes and was doing production, then a square hole, etc., might make sense.
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

ctwo wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 10:17 am Not sure what brand the aluminum head is.
My money says it's a Supreme Versa Tapper, likely a No. 6100
Range is from #10 to ½" if so.
Interesting head. Doesn't speed up for tap extraction, and likely not an expensive head when new, but they're certainly worth what they cost. I've used one to tap a few ½-13 holes in 304 stainless. Not an easy task.

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
ctwo

Post by ctwo »

You're absolutely right, Harold. Supreme Versatapper by Buck. Looks like I ordered the right collets but might be stymied by the required grease. Mobilux EP 23
ctwo

Post by ctwo »

How to fix this thread in the Versatap J440 collet spindle? I am planning to take it off, weld build it with either the MIG or TIG welder, with a mocked aluminum collet clamped into the taper to dissipate heat and hold shape, then single point thread on the lathe. The best solution is probably find a donor head, but they are not sitting on shelves, and I want to give this a crack...
Attachments
versatap-spindle-20200227_182510.jpg
ctwo

Post by ctwo »

I have to figure out how to get it off. I suspect the collar is supposed to slide and reveal another set of screws that are clamping it to the output shaft. I guess I could also just remake it.
ctwo

Post by ctwo »

A little bit of progress. Broke a jaw on my 3-jaw puller. Just an opportunity to make a special jaw.
Attachments
versa-tapper-20200229_130214.jpg