Eye bolt rating

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

whateg0

Re: Eye bolt rating

Post by whateg0 »

If I plan >250# per corner with a safety margin, I can almost guarantee that it will not end up on the floor.

BTW, I did find working load ratings for these common eyebolts, which are of course, far less than closed ring eyebolts. Hampton rates their eyebolt with a 1/2" thread at 350# working load. I am probably going to just cut lifting eyes out and weld them to the lifting cradle, so there are no eyebolts used at all, but thanks for the input.

Dave
liveaboard

Post by liveaboard »

If you're in a hurry, bore holes in some nice steel strip, cut tabs off, and weld them to your square tube frame. You could do all 4 in 20 minutes or less if a drill press and saw are available to you.
In a pinch, really fast, flame or plasma cut the holes + all.
cheap, fast, strong, safe.

The only drawback is that the square tube will be more difficult to reuse than if drilled for a bolted eye.
Russ Hanscom

Post by Russ Hanscom »

Remember that eyebolts are designed for straight line loads. If the force is applied at an angle, such as with several slings without a suitable spreader bar, the allowable loading becomes much less.
whateg0

Post by whateg0 »

Russ Hanscom wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 8:22 am Remember that eyebolts are designed for straight line loads. If the force is applied at an angle, such as with several slings without a suitable spreader bar, the allowable loading becomes much less.
Absolutely. The pull on the eyebolts, if used, will be straight up.

Dave
whateg0

Post by whateg0 »

liveaboard wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 5:27 am If you're in a hurry, bore holes in some nice steel strip, cut tabs off, and weld them to your square tube frame. You could do all 4 in 20 minutes or less if a drill press and saw are available to you.
In a pinch, really fast, flame or plasma cut the holes + all.
cheap, fast, strong, safe.

The only drawback is that the square tube will be more difficult to reuse than if drilled for a bolted eye.
That's the beauty of having a CNC plasma table. Cutting things like this is as easy as pressing "R"! I am going to have a couple pieces of angle welded to the tube also, so there will be a few inches at each end that will become waste. It's possible, too, that the organization may want to purchase the lifting pieces in case of later moves, though I don't expect they'll need to move these again.

Dave
Russ Hanscom

Post by Russ Hanscom »

Our old company designs required that the lifting eyes, pad eyes as we called them, were welded to the equipment and were to be strong enough that one would hold the entire load if the other failed - made for some serious eyes - but never lost a load either.
whateg0

Post by whateg0 »

That's how I tend to treat stuff. Overkill maybe, but I'm okay with that.

Dave
10 Wheeler Rob

Post by 10 Wheeler Rob »

You can get next day shipment from McMaster Carr or the other major suppliers. Little more cost but fast service.

I agree with not using bent eye bolts for lifting. Nothing but an accident waiting to happen. I would bolt on a piece of angle iron drilled to make a lifting eye in a pinch. That I calculate its strength at least.

Rob
liveaboard

Post by liveaboard »

And a few days after responding to this thread, I get this spam email; "Rigging Products-Lifting Eye Bolt"
Coincidence?
whateg0

Post by whateg0 »

The hills have eyes!
whateg0

Post by whateg0 »

Ended up not using eye bolts at all. No time to go look for them. It also started raining, so I didn't want to drag the plasma cutter out to cut lifting eyes. So, I just bent up some 3/8" round bar and welded it to the ends of the tubing. Also welded up a spreader to hang the machine from. The round tube was galvanized so I ground the zinc off the outside, but you can see the residue on the inside. The welding was done in an open doorway.
laser lift.jpg
laser lift bar.jpg
laser lift truss.jpg
Dave
BadDog

Post by BadDog »

I didn't think about it when reading the earlier posts, but I've done exactly the same thing with good result. I bent them with a cheap HF strap/bar bender. After I got done with them I cut them off and welded the bottom of the U onto my welding/fab table where they now provide holders for a selection of hammers used on the fab table.

Glad you got it sorted.
Russ
Master Floor Sweeper