fixing go cart for next generation

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

curtis cutter

fixing go cart for next generation

Post by curtis cutter »

I am in the process of "restoring" a little go cart I had for my kids decades ago and I am now into the next generation with 9 little ones under 5 years old.

In the process of the stripping it down I noticed that the wheels were held to the axle by a nut that presses against the two inner races of the outer and inner hub bearings. The outer races of the bearings are seated in the wheel hub. Basically it was designed to put a pressure against the inner bearing races with no spacer between the two inner races.

I would like to use two 1.325" OD washers with a .5" ID and have a 1/4" portion of the flat face at the ID removed so when the nut is installed I would be pressing against the two outer races thus holding the wheel on but letting the bearings find their own centers as the inner races would be floating on the 1/2" axle shaft.

Does anyone know of a hardened washer that has this "characteristic"?

Gregg
Gregg
Just let go of it, it will eventually unplug itself.
mcostello

Re: fixing go cart for next generation

Post by mcostello »

Can You make a drawing of what You want? I am sure Someone here would help out. I would volunteer.
curtis cutter

Post by curtis cutter »

The only drawing program I have on this machine is Publisher and I cannot get it to want to move over here.
Gregg
WJH

Post by WJH »

For bearing pre-load?
whateg0

Post by whateg0 »

I'm having trouble picturing what you want to do, but it sounds like a bad idea. The way the bearings are preloaded is the same way they are done on automobiles. If you don't want the bearings preloaded, just use a nylock nut and leave it loose from the bearings. I can't think of a good reason to do that though.
curtis cutter

Post by curtis cutter »

The way this is designed, the two ball bearings are inserted until the outer race seats against a shoulder in the wheel hub. the hub is then placed on the 1/2" axle and it sits with the inner ball bearing race against the inside shoulder of the axle. The hub assembly is then held on the axle with a nut that pushes against the inner race of the outer roller bearing.

Basically, when you tighten the nut you are pushing against both inner races. What I want to do is push against the two outer races allowing the balls and inner races to find their (for lack of better words, happy places) in the alignment.
Gregg
whateg0

Post by whateg0 »

That's not how it works. The way it is installed is exactly how bearings should be. How are you going to prevent wear on the sliding surface of the outer race vs the washer? Another bearing?
Steggy

Post by Steggy »

curtis cutter wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 11:23 amBasically, when you tighten the nut you are pushing against both inner races. What I want to do is push against the two outer races allowing the balls and inner races to find their (for lack of better words, happy places) in the alignment.
I don't think what you are trying to do is a good idea. The point behind designing the assembly to put pressure on the inner races is to remove slack in the bearing assembly that can lead to wheel wobble. If you are concerned about how much pre-load is being applied to the bearings use a self-locking nut to keep the hub on the spindle and tighten the nut enough to remove all clearance.
———————————————————————————————————————————————————————
Music isn’t at all difficult.  All you gotta do is play the right notes at the right time!  :D
Steggy

Post by Steggy »

whateg0 wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 12:50 pmHow are you going to prevent wear on the sliding surface of the outer race vs the washer?
...not to mention galling of the rubbing surfaces and possible seizure.
———————————————————————————————————————————————————————
Music isn’t at all difficult.  All you gotta do is play the right notes at the right time!  :D
curtis cutter

Post by curtis cutter »

BigDumbDinosaur wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 1:02 pm
whateg0 wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 12:50 pmHow are you going to prevent wear on the sliding surface of the outer race vs the washer?
...not to mention galling of the rubbing surfaces and possible seizure.
Excellent points, rather obvious once you spell it out. :) . Maybe there is just no hope for this design. Putting pressure against the two inner races of the ball bearings just seems wrong. Perhaps drilling the axle and using a castle nut is the answer and not putting much if any preload on the bearing is the way to go.
Gregg
whateg0

Post by whateg0 »

curtis cutter wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 1:38 pm...Putting pressure against the two inner races of the ball bearings just seems wrong. Perhaps drilling the axle and using a castle nut is the answer and not putting much if any preload on the bearing is the way to go.
Putting pressure against the inner races is exactly what preload is. If you want more evidence that this is the way things should be, again, look at automotive wheel bearings. TIghten until there is significant drag, then back off an 1/8 turn. Look at spindle installation in a lathe. A nylock nut will do the job just fine since the inner race shouldn't be turning anyway.

Dave
whateg0

Post by whateg0 »

I'll add that even in such things as an electric motor, you'll often find wavy washers keeping pressure against the bearing at one end to keep axial slop to a minimum. While it doesn't provide significant preload, it performs the same function by keeping the play out of they system.