Problem with a plugged propane orifice.

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

B Mann

Problem with a plugged propane orifice.

Post by B Mann »

This is a proprietary orifice so I cannot get another, it is probably obsolete anyway. I have a piece of stainless, round, about 1 inch diameter, about 1" tall. It has a 3/8" pipe thread on one side and the orifice on the other. Inside the 3/8 side, there is an internal snap ring holding a mesh filter in place. The snap ring is deep and tiny, I hate to mess with it, I may end up trashing the mesh screen. The orifice is tiny. Torch tip cleaners are a no go, way too big.

I have tried soaking it in acetone and carburetor cleaner for almost a month now with no luck. I tried air pressure and could get a slight flow. It may plug it more. I tried a stainless wire, the smallest I can find. It measured about .013. Still too big. I am guessing the hole is .003-.005?? I am thinking maybe ultrasonic cleaner, but I do not know of anyone around me with one. I tried a bit of heat with no luck. I know it is kind of an off topic question. Any ideas??

Not the best up close pictures.

armscor 1

Re: Problem with a plugged propane orifice.

Post by armscor 1 »

Had the same problem, wire brush bristle was the answer
liveaboard

Post by liveaboard »

Same as Armscor, I take one strand from a multistrand wire; usually they're copper and that might be too soft for you.

If it's aluminum, it can corrode closed so you can't even find the hole.
Try calculating the hole size based on the system pressure and flow [find the flow from the device heating power], and order the right drill bit if you don't have it.
B Mann

Post by B Mann »

liveaboard wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 7:19 am Same as Armscor, I take one strand from a multistrand wire; usually they're copper and that might be too soft for you.

If it's aluminum, it can corrode closed so you can't even find the hole.
Try calculating the hole size based on the system pressure and flow [find the flow from the device heating power], and order the right drill bit if you don't have it.
It is stainless. Calculating the hole size will not work. It is an odd machine so there is no ratings on it. Only thing I know is they used a high pressure regulator so they could use a smaller orifice size. Seems like a bad idea now.

I tried a strand of wire from a 1/16" stainless cable. The single strand was about .012. Way to big. This hole is TINY. About hair size.

As far as a drill bit. I don't know if I can handle a .003 drill bit in a piece of stainless. Knowing my luck it will make it worse. I found a tip cleaner about that size but it kind of spooks me using it. I have not bought it yet.
liveaboard

Post by liveaboard »

We used to get tiny orifice cleaner wires for pump up paraffin camping stoves; you might get one at a camping supplier.
B Mann

Post by B Mann »

liveaboard wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 12:43 pm We used to get tiny orifice cleaner wires for pump up paraffin camping stoves; you might get one at a camping supplier.
You made me look. They are called prickers. I need to see what diameter they are but a lot closer than a torch tip cleaner. BTW I wonder about a needle?? It will have narrow tip but may not get as deep.
mcostello

Post by mcostello »

Wonder if You could thin down a pricker by stroking it with a whet stone while holding it down on a flat surface? Rotating it now and then.
armscor 1

Post by armscor 1 »

The Swiss sent a piece of wire to Japan to show how small they could make the diameter, the Japanese sent it back to the Swiss and told them to have a close look, they had drilled a hole in it!!
liveaboard

Post by liveaboard »

Needles + pins are much larger than pricker wires. I tried to use a tiny needle to clean one of those stove orifices and it wasn't even close.
B Mann

Post by B Mann »

liveaboard wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 6:12 am Needles + pins are much larger than pricker wires. I tried to use a tiny needle to clean one of those stove orifices and it wasn't even close.
That hole is so small, I can catch it with the tip of the needle, but that is all.

I am wondering if I should try from the other side. I need to make some long hardened pins to fit in my snap ring pliers to be able to reach all the way in the hole to pull out the retaining ring. Not sure what I can use to make the pins. Too soft will bend. Then to figure out how to get the little filter out without destroying it.
B Mann

Post by B Mann »

Someone pointed these out to me... But you are talking to a guy who can snap off an 1/8" drill bit!!!

https://www.fairviewfittings.com/produc ... hes-32630/

No idea how they drilled a hole in it. This company does not even have drill bits that small.
https://www.fairviewfittings.com/produc ... lls-31310/
armscor 1

Post by armscor 1 »

EDM.