Machinery Course Textbook Recommendation

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

dampfmann

Machinery Course Textbook Recommendation

Post by dampfmann »

Hello,

I would like to solicit some suggestions for textbooks for a high school introductory machinery (lathe & mill) course. I have a copy of Walker's Machining Fundamentals. I am interested in viewing other textbook examples.

Thanks,

Marty
pete

Re: Machinery Course Textbook Recommendation

Post by pete »

Well along with whatever textbooks you come up with I'd also suggest the Machinery's Handbook CD. That way multiple copies can be printed off for the whole class depending on the chosen subject for that day or week. One of the most important lessons would be the world wide use of agreed to standards to allow interchangeable parts fit and Machinery's Handbook covers that in detail.
earlgo

Post by earlgo »

You might take a look at the Tool and Manufacturing Engineers Handbook V1, although it is expensive. I had one when I was rowing the corporate galley and it was a very good reference.
https://www.amazon.com/Tool-Manufacturi ... S7BBRJSWMM
I have my dad's textbooks from the late 20's when he was at OSU, but they are all outdated and probably not available any more. If you wish I will post the info.
There is also the Workshop Practice Series from Special Interest Model Books. https://www.specialinterestmodelbooks.c ... ce-series/ There are other topics, too, so look around the menu.
Good luck.
--earlgo
Before you do anything, you must do something else first. - Washington's principle.
John Hasler

Post by John Hasler »

US Army and US Navy manuals are pretty good and are available free on the Web.
RONALD

Post by RONALD »

In other posts, I had mentioned that when they closed the Machine Shop of Russ H.in 2003, I had paid into the Shop Department $500 for a B&S #2 Mill and another $500 for tool room and other contents. Russ used "Machining Fundamentals by John R. Walker 1998 Edition.

There were ~ 50 of the books just laying everywhere, I added them to the metals I brought home, otherwise they would have gone into the Dumpster.

Since then I managed to give away all but two copies, even sent one to Harold.

Great book for beginners and even Harold! Russ taught CAM using that and other books. It is still available.

https://www.google.com/search?source=hp ... CAw&uact=5
dampfmann

Post by dampfmann »

Hello,

Thank you for all the great suggestions. I familiar with all suggestions except the Tool and Manufacturing Engineers Handbook. I need to see if it is still in print.

Marty
K. Browers

Post by K. Browers »

Hello Friends,
Tools and Manufacturing Engineers Handbook is available on the Internet Archive.

https://archive.org/details/ToolAndManu ... rsHandbook

A wonderful resource for titles of many books pertaining to many of the things that interest all of us.
Cheers
Karel
jcbrock

Post by jcbrock »

When I took a community college machining course in the 1980's they used Machine Tool Practices, ISBN 0-471-04331. It's got an intro to the controls and capabilities of each type of machine typically found in a shop, measurement, and basic setups. But it's really not going to teach you many of the techniques and tricks learned through practical application and the school of scrapped parts and broken bits.
John Brock