IMTS 2020 Canceled

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

RONALD

IMTS 2020 Canceled

Post by RONALD »

The International Manufacturing Technology Show, IMTS 2020, in September, finally had the same fate as many other technical shows and conferences.

There is no way to have such a massive show of equipment on line.

They advertise in all the trade magazines, and I wondered if they would be greedy enough to actually have 130,000 individuals NOT at the required distance, and some Trumpies refusing to wear masks!

The prudent thing to do was to cancel.

Always a great show to attend, I started attending waaaay back in the 60's when it was called: The Iternational Machine Tool Show.
IMTS 1.png
IMTS 2.png
thunderskunk

Re: IMTS 2020 Canceled

Post by thunderskunk »

RONALD wrote:
They advertise in all the trade magazines, and I wondered if they would be greedy enough to actually have 130,000 individuals NOT at the required distance, and some Trumpies refusing to wear masks!
What does whether you do or don’t like Trump have to do with wearing a mask?

It was the right decision, whether it was simply politically correct or based on actual scientific evidence of the increased risks, so I don’t disagree there. “Following the rules” is not going to stop the spread of infection, merely deter it. Financially, less people would probably show up, thus the benefits of holding the show would be insignificant regardless of risks.

Political affiliation doesn’t have bearing on who wears masks and who doesn’t though. I’ve interacted with a lot of folks directly affected by the shut down, and it’s much simpler: The rules set out are against the very nature of our human being. We want to see smiles and facial expressions and be close to each other when communicating. It’s worse with bad hearing and eyesight. I’m not saying the rules are wrong or that it’s pointless, but it jarred me a bit knowing it’s yet another point used to spread the divide between political parties. This is everybody’s struggle, and the urge to resist shouldn’t be shunned as bad behavior, just corrected if possible. It requires understanding and humility, which can be seen as present and absent from all walks of life.
"We'll cross that bridge once we realize nobody ever built one."