Packing Foam

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

earlgo

Packing Foam

Post by earlgo »

I am looking for a source for the (relatively) thin sheets of white close celled foam similar to Kaison foam. I have looked on all the obvious websites and have not found what I think I am looking for. It is the stuff one gets from the VFW to help prevent damage to the various pens etc. that they send as freebies. It is about 1/2" thick. It is not Styrofoam insulation, but a stiff and resiliant foam.
Foam
Foam
Any suggestions?
--earlgo
Before you do anything, you must do something else first. - Washington's principle.
jcfx

Re: Packing Foam

Post by jcfx »

earlgo, I'm not familiar with Kaizen foam ( had to look it up ) but
what you have pictured and described is Ethafoam also known as polyethylene foam.
I get planks of it from a shipping / art packing supply company in my neighborhood in NY.

If I recall correctly it's about $40 for a plank 2ft x 8ft 2" thick, I'd have to dig out
the receipt to be accurate on price. Bandsaws nicely but you need dust extraction
which helps a bit, the particles are really staticky !
Carves nice with a hot knife.
earlgo

Post by earlgo »

BINGO!
Thanks, jfx, for your help! I sure was barking up the wrong tree.
--earlgo
Before you do anything, you must do something else first. - Washington's principle.
jcfx

Post by jcfx »

Any time, glad to be of assistance !