Machinist's Level help

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

seal killer

Re: Machinist's Level help

Post by seal killer »

Harold--

Here are pictures, rotating clockwise . . .
IMG_2744.jpg
IMG_2745.jpg
IMG_2767.jpg
IMG_2746.jpg
My earlier problem posting pictures was due to connection speed. The "Place inline" tag did not appear in a timely fashion. I am used to gigabit speed. This almost no-bit-speed threw me off. Gigabit to almost no-bit makes a bit of a difference.

--Bit Blaster Bill
You are what you write.
seal killer

Post by seal killer »

Bill--

Re: "请按照说明进行操作"

Yes.

--Bill
You are what you write.
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

Bill,
Have you tried removing the two screws shown in the first and third photos? I suspect once you remove the exterior cladding that you'll easily find an adjustment system that allows for the vial to be leveled correctly. The Starrett 98 adjustment is obvious, as there's no cover to hide anything.

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
seal killer

Post by seal killer »

Harold--

I'll try it! Thanks.

--Bill
You are what you write.
ctwo

Post by ctwo »

Bill Shields wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 7:31 am sure it will...if the plate is truly level...then the level will show 'level' in both directions....

first $50 + shipping from 19734 takes it.

98 level.jpg

been in the box for 40 years....and I have 3!

which is a good thing since my 4th got broken in shipping 35 years ago.
Wait, Bill, are you offering for sale this level for $50+? If that is the case, I would be obliged to take you up on that.
Standards are so important that everyone must have their own...
To measure is to know - Lord Kelvin
Disclaimer: I'm just a guy with a few machines...
ctwo

Post by ctwo »

seal killer wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 4:01 pm Harold--

I'll try it! Thanks.

--Bill
Bill,

The images and instructions that I've seen say to remove the red plastic cap from the top to reveal an adjustment screw.

And Tom Lipton shows level calibration here (I thought the level he discussed at the beginning was similar to yours, but it's not).

https://youtu.be/zIDL77qt1tI?t=360
seal killer

Post by seal killer »

ctwo--

Yes, I saw those instructions. But there is no red plastic cap.

--Bill
You are what you write.
ctwo

Post by ctwo »

Bill,

I was wondering if the top half of it got broken off and the lower red shaft remains in the hole? I guess taking off the sides will indeed reveal the inner workings.
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

Yes on $50 plus shipping offer. 3 is more than I need
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
seal killer

Post by seal killer »

All--

Thank you for the suggestions. They helped me figure it out. Plus, I found a YouTube video with a nice Chinese lady demonstrating on a model that looked just like mine but wasn't. I think that design may be somewhat popular.

The nice Chinese lady spoke Chinese. Natural, I suppose. Fortunately, the captions were written by an English speaker.

The screws on the sides hold the side plates on. That's it. However, the first thing the nice Chinese lady said (I guess that's what she said; it was in Chinese) was to take the side plates off. I did.

Next step is to remove one of the recessed end caps (shown below). They both come out, but only one of them hides the adjustment mechanism. That mechanism is simple. Just loosen the round nuts above and below the plate that tilts the vial and then turn whichever nut needs to be turned to adjust it the way you want. Simple.

Not.

The threads on the adjusting mechanism are way too coarse. The slightest movement--and I mean the slightest--moves the bubble an inordinate amount. I couldn't even get the bubble on the same "page" when I rotated the level 180*.

I didn't get it adjusted. I did get p****d off. I'll get back to it later. In the meantime, I have plenty of stuff to do that is within my capabilities.

I almost forgot, the nice Chinese lady had zero trouble adjusting the one she had in the video. That made me sad.

--Bill
DSC_8992.jpg
DSC_8991.JPG
You are what you write.
ctwo

Post by ctwo »

Bill, were you wearing the white cotton gloves? I think they are required for success :lol:

I suspect her method is to apply more tension on the nut that moves the vial in the desired direction, of course after you get the bubble floating each way.

That does look like a touchy adjustment. Even mine is touchy. I'm having more difficulty with the bench moving throughout the day - the bubble will go full tilt one way then the other.

I've had my time playing a time nut on the internet too - that is trying to adjust precision oscillators to the GPS time standard, to 10E-12 precision.

Just keep pecking away at it and it will come in. Good luck.
seal killer

Post by seal killer »

ctwo--

Our main level is supported by heavy, engineered trusses on 2' centers. I first attempted to adjust the level on the quartzite slab forming the island in the kitchen. Every time I leaned one way or the other--not touching the slab--the bubble moved.

I finally went downstairs to the lowest step on our granite stairway. The bubble didn't move.

I'll keep screwing with it.

--Bill
You are what you write.