Machinist's Level help

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

neanderman

Re: Machinist's Level help

Post by neanderman »

Bill Shields wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 7:29 am Actually...'Allen was (is) trademarked... like torx..hence shcs and hexalobular
Thanks to me da', they will always be Allen cap screws to me.

And I hold them in high regard!
Ed

LeBlond Dual Drive, 15x30
US-Burke Millrite MVI
Atlas 618
Files, snips and cold chisels

Proud denizen of the former "Machine Tool Capitol of the World"
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

Bill Shields wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 7:26 pm Where did "cheese head screw" come from...except maybe Wisconsin?
Blink! Blink!
I've been living in a fog, or so it seems.
In all my years, I've never heard a reference to a cheese head fastener. And, yeah, it makes sense.

Thanks for the education.

On that subject, that may be what is in the (grinding) wheel hubs I'm going to use with my #2 Cincinnati cutter grinder. They are, no doubt, used on more modern machines, but by removing a snap ring and the screw with the outlandishly large head, they fit my grinder perfectly, and the price was right. They were a part of a large purchase years ago, and there's a couple dozen of them, so I'm well equipped for anything that comes down the pike.

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

Have drawers full of these things...

https://www.mcmaster.com/cheese-head-screws/

pretty sure Jim used them at Springfield Armory back during WWII - specific diameter head that you can put into a specific diameter hole and keep things aligned.
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

Thanks, Bill. I now understand they are much like a pan head, just smaller in diameter. How did I miss that for so many years?

The screws I mentioned, above, are not even close. The head is huge, so they must be designed specifically for the product in which they are used.

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
neanderman

Post by neanderman »

And, having looked at the McMaster site and not seeing a "cheese head" screw, with a recessed hex socket, I withdraw my previous comment!

8)
Ed

LeBlond Dual Drive, 15x30
US-Burke Millrite MVI
Atlas 618
Files, snips and cold chisels

Proud denizen of the former "Machine Tool Capitol of the World"