Jet Lathe

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

duckman903

Jet Lathe

Post by duckman903 »

Just came into the possession of a Jet BDB-1340A lathe when it was removed from where it being used the people didn't know what they were doing and disconnected the lathe from the wall mounted control box, I got the lathe and don't have the box (so now I have a boat anchor) but I digress contacted the widow and she knew what we were talking about she is going to send it to me. Now for the BIG ? this model is in the off white paint scheme, what I'm asking is does someone have the same lathe and could they open the box and take color picture of the wiring , there are 5 wires coming from the motor to the box and a smaller cord with 5 wires coming from the control switch to the box on the wall , both sets of wires have 5 colors, thanks in advance.
NP317

Re: Jet Lathe

Post by NP317 »

A manual for your lathe appears to be available here:
https://www.manualowl.com/m/JET%20Tools ... ual/457891

Electrical diagrams likely will be available too.

RussN
duckman903

Post by duckman903 »

Russ I've been on the site and it only shows the final connection to the input wiring, my box was disconnected from the lathe, the box was found actually it wasn't lost the person that disconnected it didn't realize that it needed to be left with the lathe, it is being shipped to me but I don't know the wire connections unless they are marked in the box (hopefully).
NP317

Post by NP317 »

Wow! Crazy ignorant that they disconnected the main control box.
Yea, that totally disables all functions! Fortunate you can get it back.

So you need the complete electrical schematics for that lathe.
Those are included in my Owners/Operator's Manual for my Grizzly G0709 1440 lathe.
Being a similar lathe, I would expect yours to be there also.
Here's hoping.

Sorry I don't have direct answers for you.
RussN
duckman903

Post by duckman903 »

Thanks for the reply's, been in touch with the widow, and the control box is still mounted on the wall she is going to have it removed and sent to me , fortunately they didn't disconnect the wires they cut them so I just have to match the colors, can't wait to use this machine been using a 9" 1942 SB lathe with screw mount chucks, this has a D1-4 spindle, came with a 3,4, and 6 jaw chucks, collett attachment, quick change tool post, haven't counted them yet but at least 20 tool holders, and a bunch of unfinished steam projects, from a small duplex pump, to a large Tiny Power vertical twin, and my new furnace has been installed in my shed/work shop. Now to just get the addition on the shed to put my other projects (17 foot steam boat).
earlgo

Post by earlgo »

duckman903: You might consider asking the widow if the original manual still exists. Sometimes things like that are found later and pitched.
--earlgo
Before you do anything, you must do something else first. - Washington's principle.
NP317

Post by NP317 »

duckman903 wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 9:22 am [snip] ...and a bunch of unfinished steam projects, from a small duplex pump, to a large Tiny Power vertical twin, and my new furnace has been installed in my shed/work shop. Now to just get the addition on the shed to put my other projects (17 foot steam boat).
OK! Talk to me please!
I just completed the restoration of a 50+ year old 17' long steam launch, which lives in my shop too!
And I'm working on a small Cole's duplex pump.
We can take this to private messages so as to not pollute this lathe thread.
Thanks.
RussN
spro

Post by spro »

I think it is all cool.
Bentworker

Post by Bentworker »

@duckman903

The manual that NP317 gave the link to has the wiring schematic. There should also be one in the box (or at least there has been one in the two jet lathes I have worked on)

If you are lucky the one in the box may have a color key for the wires, if not you will probably have to dig a little deeper. Do you have a good multimeter?
Shop toys...
10X54" Vectrax GS20F mill with DRO & frequency drive (saved from the scrap pile).
Jet 13x40 lathe.
Powermatic 1150 drill press.
I love Craigslist!
duckman903

Post by duckman903 »

A follow up, I got the box they cut the wires which made it some what easier, stripping, crimping, making sure that I put the wire markers on before crimping, them putting said wires on to the proper screws where I was lucky if I could get 2 fingers in the space allowed but 2 hours later TA DA done, now to just turn the lathe around and put it in its resting place, then rearrange the rest of the stuff that was moved so the lathe could be brought in, oh the joys of having a shop that when built was going to be to BIG, LOL LOL .
JimGlass

Post by JimGlass »

I think I have the same JET lathe, geared head. I bought mine new 21 years ago and it has served me well and I expect it to contunue. I use it almost every day. I got lucky and found a used Sony DRO, It really compliments the lathe.

Only trouble I had was the drive belts (2) went bad when the lathe was 5 years old. Replacements still going.

I always take light cuts with the lathe, usually .060 per pass. Worst thing for a lathe is a "CRASH" such as running the cross-slide or compound rest into the chuck, which I have never done.

Jim
Tool & Die Maker/Electrician, Retired 2007

So much to learn and so little time.

www.outbackmachineshop.com