Materials Question

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

revrnd

Materials Question

Post by revrnd »

I've been using some hammer faces (that are described hard white nylon) on some specialty hammers. A couple of users have reported that the nylon isn't standing up to their use, (chipping ice and snow from snowmobile track suspensions). It's not the ice, that's causing the damage but the edges on the parts.
2014-Ski-Doo-MXZ-TNT-1200-4-TEC-rMotion.jpg
I've made a pair out of Delrin for one of the folks to test. I'm only using Delrin as a test, since I have some on hand. I'm not sure if Delrin is a better or worse substitute material for the nylon.

So now my question, can anyone suggest a readily available 'plastic' that won't gouge in use or fracture
in the cold (below freezing temps)?

TIA
Steggy

Re: Materials Question

Post by Steggy »

revrnd wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 1:55 pm I've been using some hammer faces (that are described hard white nylon) on some specialty hammers...I've made a pair out of Delrin for one of the folks to test. I'm only using Delrin as a test, since I have some on hand. I'm not sure if Delrin is a better or worse substitute material for the nylon.

So now my question, can anyone suggest a readily available 'plastic' that won't gouge in use or fracture
in the cold (below freezing temps)?

TIA
I'm amazed nylon works at all in this application, as it is hygroscopic, an undesirable characteristic in a material that has to function around water (i.e., snow) in subfreezing temperatures. :D Delrin (which is not a "plastic") might work out. Black Delrin seems to be fairly tough and unlike nylon, won't get weird when it gets wet.

How about making the faces from naval brass? It's a reasonably tough material for this application and shouldn't harm any mechanical parts. Only thing would be cost.
———————————————————————————————————————————————————————
Music isn’t at all difficult.  All you gotta do is play the right notes at the right time!  :D
revrnd

Post by revrnd »

BigDumbDinosaur wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 5:02 pm
I'm amazed nylon works at all in this application, as it is hygroscopic, an undesirable characteristic in a material that has to function around water (i.e., snow) in subfreezing temperatures. :D Delrin (which is not a "plastic") might work out. Black Delrin seems to be fairly tough and unlike nylon, won't get weird when it gets wet.

How about making the faces from naval brass? It's a reasonably tough material for this application and shouldn't harm any mechanical parts. Only thing would be cost.
I've used the 'prototype' for two seasons and nothing really bad has happened to the faces. Yes, some marking, but nothing like chunks flying off. The 'tunnel' of the snowmobile is sheet alum' & sees quite a bit of ice build up. I think hitting it w/ a brass-faced hammer would result in a bunch of 'out dings' to use the automotive stampings term.
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

BigDumbDinosaur wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 5:02 pm How about making the faces from naval brass? It's a reasonably tough material for this application and shouldn't harm any mechanical parts.
Not a good idea. Brass work hardens all too quickly, and would start doing damage to hard surfaces immediately and only get worse. Brass hammers are extremely misleading when it comes to trying to prevent damage. There are better ways to approach the problem.

I'm a fan of Nuplaflex hammers. They offer a huge variety of tips, and are reasonably priced.

Just sayin'

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
revrnd

Post by revrnd »

Harold_V wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 2:50 am
I'm a fan of Nuplaflex hammers. They offer a huge variety of tips, and are reasonably priced.

Just sayin'

H
I checked their webpage and they're a bit big for my use 1.25" (my hammers are 1" dia'). I'd rather not have to deal w/ a vendor for them. Takes me about 15 minutes @ little cost to make a replacement.
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

revrnd wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 8:36 pm (my hammers are 1" dia').
They make a 1" hammer with the replaceable tips, too, with a soft red rubber tip being available. I have one in my shop, with a green tip on one end and the red tip on the other. The green tip is somewhat harder, but neither of them damage steel components.
I'd rather not have to deal w/ a vendor for them. Takes me about 15 minutes @ little cost to make a replacement.
I understand. Each of us has his/her own reasons for doing things the way we do. It's not for anyone to second guess your needs and wants.

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
revrnd

Post by revrnd »

Harold_V wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 2:31 am
revrnd wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 8:36 pm (my hammers are 1" dia').
They make a 1" hammer with the replaceable tips, too, with a soft red rubber tip being available. I have one in my shop, with a green tip on one end and the red tip on the other. The green tip is somewhat harder, but neither of them damage steel components.
I'd rather not have to deal w/ a vendor for them. Takes me about 15 minutes @ little cost to make a replacement.
I understand. Each of us has his/her own reasons for doing things the way we do. It's not for anyone to second guess your needs and wants.

H
Not a problem Harold. If I wasn't able to make the inserts, I'd probably would go that way. Besides, w/ the way things are going, if someone needs replacements, I can go out to the shop, turn a couple and mail them the same day. Otherwise I'd have to have an inventory of the 'vendored' inserts.
ChipMaker4130

Post by ChipMaker4130 »

PTFE - Teflon? It comes in a variety of types, some hard, some soft.
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

UHMW is an option..but may be too hard...
Too many things going on to bother listing them.