Does this type of thing exist?

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

Electrojim

Does this type of thing exist?

Post by Electrojim »

Not sure what I should be asking for, but what I need would be very similar to a flange-mounted pillow block, but for linear, rather than rotational travel. In other words, a self-aligning "hole" that could be fitted with an Oilite sleeve for use as a linear bearing. The idea is to mount a pair of these on two parallel supports about a foot apart to permit a half-inch shaft to sort-of 'self-center' and slip effortlessly back and forth. I can't use a ball-type linear bearing in this application for noise considerations. I was thinking of simply clamping bushings into a couple of normal pillow blocks and squirting super glue into their (rotating) ball bearings to eliminate any slop, but if some sort of self-aligning support is available without a built-in bearing, I'd prefer that. Never seen one, but maybe? Thanks!
Steggy

Re: Does this type of thing exist?

Post by Steggy »

What you are looking for is called a "linear bearing." I'll betcha a detailed Internet search will find you what you want. :D
———————————————————————————————————————————————————————
Music isn’t at all difficult.  All you gotta do is play the right notes at the right time!  :D
Rick

Post by Rick »

These guys have what you are looking for.
You didn't mention any size, but try this link or
do a search for spherical mounted bushing.

https://www.triangleoshkosh.com/flange-bearing-fg5914
Rick

“We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give." Sir Winston Leonard Spencer Churchill (1874-1965)
"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading". Unknown
Murphy's Law: " If it can go wrong it will"
O-Tool's Corollary: "Murphy was entirely too optimistic"
Electrojim

Post by Electrojim »

Rick, thanks very much. What you linked me to, except with a 1/2" bore, is exactly what I need!