15kw gen bearing problem

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

Randall Va

15kw gen bearing problem

Post by Randall Va »

I have a 15 kw tractor pto run gen. I am converting to a two cyl, diesel engine, the generator had a gear box so the 540 pto would run it at 1800 rpm, the gearbox I removed held the bearing that supported the armature, so now I have to install a bearing in the housing, the problem is shaft where brg,runs is 1.790 not a standard size, the housing is factory rough bored ,I can bore the housing no problem to the od.of bearing I use, what I am thinking is buy a brg. with bigger id. and turn a sleeve to go on shaft that will fit new bearing, I know I could take the armature out and turn it to fit bearing but it looks like a lot more work, What do you guys think?
Thanks Randall
Attachments
IMG_2860.JPG
IMG_2859.JPG
IMG_2860.JPG
IMG_2862.JPG
IMG_2863.JPG
IMG_2866.JPG
www.chaski.com
Randall Va

Re: 15kw gen bearing problem

Post by Randall Va »

Back side of housing is 3.075 rough bored.
www.chaski.com
liveaboard

Post by liveaboard »

Could that be 45mm?

Ball bearings simply are not made in odd sizes.

On a side note, are you sure your engine has a good enough governor for a generator? I've built a unit successfully, and another that wouldn't hold rpm close enough to work at more than 1/3 power.
It turns out that engines rarely have a governor suitable for a generator unless it's made for a generator.
John Hasler

Post by John Hasler »

liveaboard wrote: Sun Feb 07, 2021 5:39 am Could that be 45mm?

Ball bearings simply are not made in odd sizes.

On a side note, are you sure your engine has a good enough governor for a generator? I've built a unit successfully, and another that wouldn't hold rpm close enough to work at more than 1/3 power.
It turns out that engines rarely have a governor suitable for a generator unless it's made for a generator.
Easy enough to make a better governor with a stepper and an Arduino or similar.
liveaboard

Post by liveaboard »

I didn't find it easy at all.
I tried several things that didn't work, the machine kept 'hunting', surging up and down.
As an experiment, I used a "smart' regulator; a human.
I told him to operate the fuel lever so as to keep the tachometer in a certain place; and he did, even as I welded with it.

Another generator I made with a 1965 Mercedes OM636 diesel; that works really well. It turns out those motors are known to be usable for generators, they have a vacuum diaphragm governor.
Russ Hanscom

Post by Russ Hanscom »

A bushing for the bearing is reasonable. Makes it easy to adapt a suitable bearing without having to turn the actual armature shaft.
Randall Va

Post by Randall Va »

The engine I'm using are on generators, don't think there's a problem with using,
www.chaski.com
John Hasler

Post by John Hasler »

liveaboard wrote: Sun Feb 07, 2021 8:52 am I didn't find it easy at all.
I tried several things that didn't work, the machine kept 'hunting', surging up and down.
You have to tune the control loop, of course. I'd use PID. If you were using proportional only you probably had too much gain.
Steggy

Post by Steggy »

liveaboard wrote: Sun Feb 07, 2021 8:52 am I didn't find it easy at all.
As an experiment, I used a "smart' regulator; a human.
I told him to operate the fuel lever so as to keep the tachometer in a certain place; and he did, even as I welded with it.

Another generator I made with a 1965 Mercedes OM636 diesel; that works really well. It turns out those motors are known to be usable for generators, they have a vacuum diaphragm governor.
My F-unit's primer mover governor is electronic. However, I built it from discrete parts, not an Arduino. It occasionally hunts a little at idle (as the real F7 would sometimes do), but at full throttle (2400 RPM) under load it is very stable. BTW, the tach signal that controls it is derived from the V-twin's built-in alternator.
———————————————————————————————————————————————————————
Music isn’t at all difficult.  All you gotta do is play the right notes at the right time!  :D
whateg0

Post by whateg0 »

https://www.bearingrevolution.co.uk/255 ... ange-35639

I don't know if you need more support but I wonder if the gearbox had tapered rollers in it.
Randall Va

Post by Randall Va »

Well I ended up removing armature and turned it down for a 209 bearing,
Thanks Randall
www.chaski.com
liveaboard

Post by liveaboard »

Best solution; make it how you want it to be.
You'll also need to fit some sort of drive coupling or pulley, and now you have the armature where you want it.