Your thoughts on a replacement compressor

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

Greg_Lewis

Re: Your thoughts on a replacement compressor

Post by Greg_Lewis »

Russ Hanscom wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 8:09 am Use galvanized, not black, pipe for air if you are using steel pipe. Any trace of moisture will rust the black pipe and fill the piping, and end uses, with rust flakes. Black is acceptable only if you have a good air dryer.

I found this out the hard way. Fortunately it was only the fittings at the end of the line. But do check into the air-rated PEX. It is so much easier to use. The only reason I didn't use it is at the time I did my system it wasn't readily available in my area. I think there is a system out there that doesn't require special tools. Also check into the proper type of PEX. There are different types and I would not just pick what's on the shelf at the big box store. You don't want to get hurt by a bursting pipe or, like what happened to me, blow your pump because of a breach in the line. (And I don't want to sound alarmist, but an overheated motor could theoretically start a fire.)
Greg Lewis, Prop.
Eyeball Engineering — Home of the dull toolbit.
Our motto: "That looks about right."
Celebrating 35 years of turning perfectly good metal into bits of useless scrap.
BadDog

Post by BadDog »

My approach is a bit different.
  • If I'm going out of town, I have a checklist of things to do (not great memory). One item is, turn off compressor.
  • I don't use air day to day, but intermittently use it rather heavily. In the pics earlier you can see the 3/4" ball valve right at the tank. Part of my shop shutdown routine is closing that valve.
  • Behind the tank is a distribution manifold. The main part is configured to let me select regulator/filter/separator or bypass. This outputs directly to my 100' hose reel (Cox, highly recommended) and another ball valve leading to shop air. The latter is off unless I need air other than the reel, but turned on, I have stations all around the shop.
  • Shop air is 1/2" rigid copper. IIRC, there are 6 stations. Each has a ~20' drop of air hose (draped somewhere convenient) with Milton V coupler. Most have an air gun attached by default unless I need to use something else.
If I have everything "on", then get stupid and forget to turn off that main valve, the total system leaks just enough to cycle about once a day. Much like an automatic drain, having a safety system like described is on my nice to have list... that I'll never get around to.
Russ
Master Floor Sweeper
liveaboard

Post by liveaboard »

PEX fittings tighten with a couple of wrenches; it's the unipipe that needs the expensive crimping tool.
I just used regular plumbing material, the tube is rated 12 bar, 175psi
Glenn Brooks

Post by Glenn Brooks »

Checked into PEX, then decided to stay with the existing iron stand pipe set up. I found PEX is not rated for compressed air, only pressurized water systems. Also several comments that PEX is subject to melting and venting compressed air directly into a fire. I do a lot of welding, cutting and grinding in the immediate vicinity of the compressor, so decided iron pipe is a better solution for this area of the shop.

BTW, I replaced several of my original black iron pipe connectors and found surprising little internal rust in the pipes, given that the compressor is over 20 years old. Perhaps a result of such low hours running time.

Further mitigating pipe rusting, I used some stainless pipe fittings for the replacement parts - stuff I had left over from rebuilding exhaust piping in my steam engine front rebuild last year.

Wired it up, plumed it up, and fired it up! Works great! Now, time to get back to work, doing the stuff I bought this thing for.

Glenn
Moderator - Grand Scale Forum

Motive power : 1902 A.S.Campbell 4-4-0 American - 12 5/8" gauge, 1955 Ottaway 4-4-0 American 12" gauge

Ahaha, Retirement: the good life - drifting endlessly on a Sea of projects....
VelocityDuck

Post by VelocityDuck »

Tagging on here...

I've been looking at the Puma TE-3040V
https://www.aircompressorsdirect.com/Pu ... 13940.html

A bit more volume than I need, but a decent price and a small footprint.

Then I saw the QST-30/60 from Eastwood.
https://www.eastwood.com/eastwood-elite ... essor.html

It says that it's a scroll air compressor. I'm guessing that's their version of a rotary air compressor. It's about twice the price of the Puma, but it's advertised as being very quiet. Which in a small shop would be nice. Maybe even worth the additional money.

Does anyone has any experience with these Eastwood compressors?
NP317

Post by NP317 »

I see reviews of this air compressor on YouTube, and elsewhere.

And it is made in China to Eastwood's specs, rather than in the USA with international components. That may or may not be a negative.
RussN