Moriya Stirling Engine Build

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

Kay_B

Re: Moriya Stirling Engine Build

Post by Kay_B »

rmac wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 9:54 am
Kay_B wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 4:16 am It looks good, the work is neat. Do you have a complete drawing of the device in order to understand how many more spare parts you need and what shape they should be?
Thank you, Kay_B. Yes, I'm working from a complete set of plans. There's a link to them in one of the earlier posts in this thread.

-- Russell Mac
Thanks for the answer. I was inattentive and did not pay enough attention to your previous posts in the thread. Of course, it will be interesting to see the end result of your work.
rmac

Post by rmac »

Progress Report #17:

New flywheel. And lots more interesting, the UPS guy showed up yesterday with a shiny new 18" parabolic mirror. I threw together a quick and dirty bracket to hold the engine in the proper position and mounted the whole mess on a camera tripod for easy aiming. I've got the mirror focused on a point inside the displacer cylinder, about 1/2" above the end cap. And it works! In the picture the engine is running at several hundred RPM, oriented at a goofy angle to catch the early morning sun. It will also chug along at a more leisurely pace with about half the mirror covered up.

Next step is to make a better bracket that 1) isn't so ugly, and 2) allows more light to reach the engine. I'm guessing that the current setup is blocking about a third of the available light.

Fun stuff!

-- Russell Mac

first_solar_run.jpg
NP317

Post by NP317 »

Very nifty!
Next is to turn a small DC generator to power the sun-following drive on the mirror mount!
An equatorial telescope mount can easily be set up to follow the sun with a single-axis motion, ala telescope drive.
RussN
rmac

Post by rmac »

NP317 wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 8:30 pm Next is to turn a small DC generator to power the sun-following drive on the mirror mount!
Don't think that idea hasn't crossed my mind! :D
rmac

Post by rmac »

Progress Report #18:

Today I finished making a better mounting bracket for the solar setup. This one looks better, doesn't block so much light, and makes it easier to adjust where the mirror focuses on the engine. I can't tell if the engine actually runs any better or not, though. Too many variables.

-- Russell Mac

mirror_mount_2.jpg
NP317

Post by NP317 »

I like it.
That was a great project to complete!
RussN
rmac

Post by rmac »

NP317 wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 9:13 pm That was a great project to complete!
Yeah, it was.

But here I am feeling like I built the space shuttle or something with this little project and its twenty or thirty piddling little parts. My hat's off to all you guys who manage to pull off locomotives that must be what--tens or even hundreds of times more complicated?

-- Russell Mac
liveaboard

Post by liveaboard »

A really pretty gizmo you've made.

Making a thing that actually functions is an accomplishment, making a thing that functions AND looks good is just great work.
rmac

Post by rmac »

Thank you, sir.