Lathe Drum Switch Lever Direction

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

RichD

Lathe Drum Switch Lever Direction

Post by RichD »

I have three lathes. On two lathes the drum switch handle is moved to the right for forward spindle rotation. On the third it is the left position.
On this one the switch cover is exposed showing the embossed L and R and that's the way I hooked it up. More than once I have mistakenly flipped it in reverse and wondered why the the cutter was "dull". This is experienced usually after having used the other lathes. The question is what is the preferred or most common or standard position for forward?
Happy Rails !
RichD
Colorado Midland Ry Ten Wheeler U/C
Kerr Stuart Wren NG 0-4-0 U/C
www.csppry.org
Imagination is your best tool.
Harold_V

Re: Lathe Drum Switch Lever Direction

Post by Harold_V »

Hmmm. Have you given any thought to installing the switch such that the handle is horizontal, and turned vertically to select a direction? The direction the handle pointed when moved would then indicate the direction the spindle rotates as witnessed from the operator's position.

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
liveaboard

Post by liveaboard »

I did that with the joystick on my barge; it was mounted left right, and one time I gave her full ahead when I meant full reverse, nearly ramming a bridge.
Quite exciting, but given the choice it seemed a better idea to avoid that error in future.
But I rarely pilot the barge.
My lathe control is pull right to cut 'normal".
I would suggest you make all 3 the same, whichever way. Life will be better that way.
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

Depends on what you are used to. Jim's SB is wired on way. My 3 other lathes the other. When I asked him about that he replied that the lever on his lathe followed the direction of the overhead belt drive lathe he used as an apprentice back after WW1.

After he died...I reversed it to agree with all my other machines.
Too many things going on to bother listing them.