Shop Electrical Caution

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

BClemens

Re: Shop Electrical Caution

Post by BClemens »

My point is to take heed with your wiring when you split 220VAC, OR take precautions that prevent you becoming part of that missing neutral.
BC
curtis cutter

Post by curtis cutter »

liveaboard wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 8:29 am $11,000!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I did my own.
Might be up to local code... probably.
They're not as strict here, for non-commercial properties at least.
That is a scary number but it may have been a huge job, possibly in conduit and not knowing the size of the shop. I have wired six homes, three shops and a large barn and never would have anticipated that kind of # involved. All inspected.
Gregg
Just let go of it, it will eventually unplug itself.
liveaboard

Post by liveaboard »

I had a flexible electrician; he put in the breaker box and I did the rest. When it was done, he took a glance and signed off on it.
Later I added several 3-phase circuits to outbuildings, underground too.
We have an old house and the electric installation isn't part of the registered construction plan like it is with new constructions.
trench dog.jpg
I made the trench with my tractor.
Several trenches.
BClemens

Post by BClemens »

curtis cutter wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 8:50 am
liveaboard wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 8:29 am $11,000!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I did my own.
Might be up to local code... probably.
They're not as strict here, for non-commercial properties at least.
That is a scary number but it may have been a huge job, possibly in conduit and not knowing the size of the shop. I have wired six homes, three shops and a large barn and never would have anticipated that kind of # involved. All inspected.
I am wrong on the $11,000, the wiring was $9K. It was paving the freeking driveway that was $11K!!
BC
BClemens

Post by BClemens »

liveaboard wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 2:00 pm I had a flexible electrician; he put in the breaker box and I did the rest. When it was done, he took a glance and signed off on it.
Later I added several 3-phase circuits to outbuildings, underground too.
We have an old house and the electric installation isn't part of the registered construction plan like it is with new constructions.

trench dog.jpg

I made the trench with my tractor.
Several trenches.
Good for you! The other benefit from doing it yourself is that you know exactly what you've got! The 'feeling' was there that I was receiving a "package" and even at $9K it was a strain. I should feel really lucky though that the county is so very concerned about my correct wiring... I guess they're so used to dealing with us idiots who cannot do a thing right...!!! They protect us from ourselves!

Wish I could have had three phase, that wasn't an option because of this rural location. Three phase motors are smooth as glass...!
BC
liveaboard

Post by liveaboard »

I'm way rural too, but in Europe you can get 3-phase almost anywhere fairly easily.
$9,000 is still a lot of change.
Anyway, congratulations on your new shop, I'm sure you're going to have a lot of good times there.