Flexible Air Compressor Connector

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

gwrdriver

Flexible Air Compressor Connector

Post by gwrdriver »

I don't have any experience with connector products so I'm in need of some advice on picking one of the above to connect a small (1.5hp/2cyl) air compressor to a steel distribution line. Maximum regulator setting will be 80psi. The compressor itself is bolted down a wood floor and the air line is also bolted to wood but there is bound to be some movement between the two. The only other condition that might affect the choice of connector (say, rubber) is that the compressor is located in an unconditioned loft with a potential annual temperature range of 25°-125°F.
Any suggestions will be appreciated.
GWRdriver
Nashville TN
armscor 1

Re: Flexible Air Compressor Connector

Post by armscor 1 »

I use 1/2" nylon tube with Swagelok compression fittings, isolates the vibration from the piping nicely.
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

I like the stuff with braided metal mesh over top.

Can be metal bellows or perhaps some sort of PTFE underneath
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
pete

Post by pete »

Heat is pretty much the biggest enemy of rubber and plastic products Harry. About the best and most durable way I know of to get a long term flexible connection for what your doing would be to use a length of hydraulic line since the rubber is formulated to withstand a lot higher heat that your set up will ever see. Single braid hydraulic line is all you'd ever need. You could even have the swivel fittings properly swaged onto the line, but at the pressures your at that's probably well above excessive. A couple of hose clamps should be more than good enough. Any half decent industrial supplier should have it in the size you'll need for likely less than 10 bucks.
whateg0

Post by whateg0 »

I use copper line from the compressor pump to the tank. Put a loop in it to allow it to flex a small amount. Rubber hose connects the tank to the wall lines.
BadDog

Post by BadDog »

I just used a piece of high quality 1/2" air hose to jump from the main tank 3/4" ball valve to my distribution manifold made from 1/2" copper.
Russ
Master Floor Sweeper
NP317

Post by NP317 »

gw:
What fitting sizes are you requiring on the ends of the flex hose?
RussN
gwrdriver

Post by gwrdriver »

Possibly 3/8"NPT, . . but I haven't finalized the line fittings so I don't yet know for certain.
GWRdriver
Nashville TN
NP317

Post by NP317 »

Examples of available possibilities:
https://www.amazon.com/s?k=HEAVY+DUTY+F ... nb_sb_noss

I acquired a connecting flex hose 1/2" NPT, 18" long.
In the photo below you can see it plumbed to my new compressor between the tank outlet and the pressure regulator.
RussN
IMG_3871.JPG
gwrdriver

Post by gwrdriver »

Thanks All, for your suggestions.
I've decided to initially go with copper tube & compression fittings (with soldered rings), mainly because I have all the materials on-hand hanging around doing nothing.. If ultimately that proves to have leakage problems I'll try another connection.
GWRdriver
Nashville TN
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

Harry,
Unless you can provide a connection that doesn't flex, and I suspect that the conditions you described won't, you'd be so much better served to just use a piece of rubber air hose as your connection. My compressor is housed in a small room inside my shop. All my air lines are in the walls, half inch pipe. To make the connection from the regulator to the air lines, I use a short section of ½" air hose made up to fit. The rubber hose will not work harden, as copper is sure to do as it flexes (vibration). The greatest advantage is no vibrations are transmitted to the air lines, so it is more silent than you'd expect with a rigid connection. Rubber hose dampens all of it. Copper won't.

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

And copper work hardens...
Too many things going on to bother listing them.