Kant-Twist Clamps

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

ctwo

Kant-Twist Clamps

Post by ctwo »

I bought the 12-pack off ebay. They came quick and all seem like great clamps. One minor problem with the 3" set.

I was wondering how to fix it? I was going to face a bit off and split the difference with a slightly deeper v-groove.
Attachments
kant-twist-20210504_185537.jpg
Standards are so important that everyone must have their own...
To measure is to know - Lord Kelvin
Disclaimer: I'm just a guy with a few machines...
Bill Shields

Re: Kant-Twist Clamps

Post by Bill Shields »

Return to vendor as defective
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
ctwo

Post by ctwo »

I thought about it, usually I'm happy with a small/partial refund. I just hate to deal with shipping something out and then dealing with postage, and the potential logistics if something more goes wrong. There are 96 faces and only one is grossly out of line. But yeah, the mfg should not let that out of the factory.
Steggy

Post by Steggy »

ctwo wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 11:41 pm I thought about it, usually I'm happy with a small/partial refund. I just hate to deal with shipping something out and then dealing with postage, and the potential logistics if something more goes wrong. There are 96 faces and only one is grossly out of line. But yeah, the mfg should not let that out of the factory.
It's a defective product that the seller knowingly shipped to you. Per eBay policy, the onus is on the seller to cover return shipping on a defective item. Start a return procedure and if the seller gives you any static, award them a neutral or negative review.
———————————————————————————————————————————————————————
Music isn’t at all difficult.  All you gotta do is play the right notes at the right time!  :D
pete

Post by pete »

It's more than a little surprising Kant Twist missed that in there QC. Even more so due to what they usually cost. Mistakes and problems can and do happen with every manufacturer so it could be just that. No way to know for sure and I'm not saying they are, but given the amount of copied counterfeit products around I'd also take more photos of the stamped logo etc and email those to Kant Twist and see what they have to say. Counterfeiting Mitutoyo digital calipers is a whole lot harder and more expensive than these, but so far I haven't heard of these being counterfeited yet.
earlgo

Post by earlgo »

Last year I bought a 2" Kant Twist from a reputable dealer and was surprised to find one side of the larger stationary block had a "v" on one side and a corner to corner "x" on the other side. But the two "v"s lined up perfectly on the stationary and moveable jaws.
I can't imagine how the blocks in your picture got so far out of alignment due to mass production fixturing.
--earlgo
Before you do anything, you must do something else first. - Washington's principle.
John Hasler

Post by John Hasler »

pete wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 1:43 am It's more than a little surprising Kant Twist missed that in there QC.
It's Ebay. QC may be why it was there.
Mr Ron

Post by Mr Ron »

Are you sure they are genuine Kant Twist clamps? They could be counterfeit made in China.
Mr.Ron from South Mississippi
ctwo

Post by ctwo »

They could be counterfeit. It occurs to me that the only the jaws and screw are copper where almost all of the clamp photos I've seen also have two copper pivots. Plus, I first thought the stamp was only on one side, but noticed the both frames are stamped on the same side, so one stamp is on the inside - and the stamps are kind of light.

The average cost was $20/clamp for all 12.

Is it possible to contact the MFG? I could not find a website or any contact info for them.
pete

Post by pete »

It took a bit of searching but apparently the company that makes the Kant Twist clamps was acquired by Industrial Magnetics, this link might work, https://www.magnetics.com/release.asp?pr=1197
ctwo

Post by ctwo »

Well that's a bummer, but at least it's a USA company. I came across that site and looked at the clamp's product pages - I just figured they were acting as a distributor. Thanks for finding the PR, pete!

I no longer think these are counterfeit just based on the product photos on the site showing the brand stamp the same as mine - a bit soft and one side on the inside of the clamp.

The ebay seller is being very accommodating and apologetic for the situation, offering to replace just the two clamps or return the entire shipment. I really like the clamps anyhow.
LIALLEGHENY

Post by LIALLEGHENY »

I believe what you have is knockoffs. All Kant Twist have copper plated screws and nuts with the exception of the stainless versions. Your picture doesn't show copper plated nuts. I have a set of kant twist that are knockoffs, but they were not sold under the Kant Twist name and don't have the T-handle. Hey as long as they work and your happy, you can't beat the price that the Ebay seller has. By the way the seller pictures show the nuts as being copper plated.

Nyle