I need help identifying what I believe to be a DE Whiton chuck

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

hirst689

I need help identifying what I believe to be a DE Whiton chuck

Post by hirst689 »

I just picked up three chucks for a project. I am having difficulty identifying one of them. I think it is a DE Whiton because it had DEWCo stamped on each jaw, but the chuck has no markings at all. It is a three jaw self centering but each jaw has an adjustment using an Allen key. The chuck is adjusted by a 1/2 inch 4 point socket. I have attached pictures.
The reason I am asking is I want to use it as a welding turn table chuck ( not sure if that describes it) but I want to know if its worth too much to use for that as it will get covered in welding spatter.

Looking forward to any information you can supply

Thanks
Attachments
20210721_142520.jpg
20210721_142556.jpg
20210721_142629.jpg
20210721_142436.jpg
20210721_142629.jpg
20210721_142419.jpg
John Evans

Re: I need help identifying what I believe to be a DE Whiton chuck

Post by John Evans »

Age does NOT improve 3 jaw chucks ! And that one looks pretty well used so the best use is probably on the welding turn table.
www.chaski.com
Steggy

Post by Steggy »

John Evans wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 9:06 pm Age does NOT improve 3 jaw chucks ! And that one looks pretty well used so the best use is probably on the welding turn table.
...and you won't feel guilty about putting it to use in that way. :D
———————————————————————————————————————————————————————
Music isn’t at all difficult.  All you gotta do is play the right notes at the right time!  :D
pete

Post by pete »

That chuck looks to have been through a few wars for sure. But even for a welding positioner I think I'd pull it apart for a thorough detail cleaning as who knows if it's ever been done since new. I'd fully expect to find lots of chips and congealed oil in it. Properly cleaned, stoning of any raised burrs and relubed it should then work at lot more smoothly. Value? Parted out with now fairly rare and hard to find parts you might be surprised what someone would be willing to pay if they have the same chuck and needing even jaws. That said, it would probably take awhile and whatever you did get would likely not even cover a new off shore 3 jaw. You may as well use it for welding. No doubt that was an expensive chuck when new.
hirst689

Post by hirst689 »

thanks everyone
Mr Ron

Post by Mr Ron »

I would clean it up, check runout and if still within tolerance (<.003), I would keep it for the lathe and get a cheap Chinese chuck for the welding turntable.
Mr.Ron from South Mississippi