Wheel turning method

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

LIALLEGHENY

Re: Wheel turning method

Post by LIALLEGHENY »

Glenn,

A 4 jaw would make quick work of your wheels....what spindle do you have on your lathe?

Well the pictures show a different story than I was envisioning....actually much simpler. Looks like you don't have to face the front or back of the wheels, just turn the tread. Being that the center of the wheel back extends beyond the tread, my hub idea won't do you any good. Get a 3 or 4 " slug, turn the face so that the nose fits into the bore of the wheel and bolt the wheel on....turn your tread.

Nyle
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

Bullard country...or similar VTL

Hold them flange up and square the hole, back and od of flange.

Turn over do front and remainder of tread.

I would think that trying to hold on center stud would be difficult considering the torque that will be requited.
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
Russ Hanscom

Post by Russ Hanscom »

How critical is it that the tread be turned? What is the anticipated use for the wheels? What about just boring the wheels and calling them good.
ernest_t

Post by ernest_t »

A 4 jaw 10" chuck should hold the wheels with the jaws reversed. A smaller chuck with 2 piece jaws could work with longer soft jaws.