Toolbox drawer dividers

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

SteveM

Toolbox drawer dividers

Post by SteveM »

Just got a new toolbox top/bottom pair.
SnapOnBox.jpg
Seems the old one had been getting smaller for a number of years.

Several of the drawers have dividers welded into them. I would have preferred a totally open drawer, but the price was excellent, so I can't argue.

Not sure if I can get those dividers out, but I'd at least like to sub-divide the drawers more. There are some tool categories where I don't have enough tools to fill a 36" wide drawer.

I'm going to use some of those bamboo kitchen drawer dividers in the thinner drawers (1-1/2"), but for the deeper drawers (2-3/4", 3-3/4") I'll need a taller and probably stronger divider system.

Snap-on has some that I'd have to admit are nice, but I would end up spending more than I did on the box.

Anyone have something they are using that works well?

Steve
STRR

Re: Toolbox drawer dividers

Post by STRR »

My box came with aluminum "T" stock cut to drawer length. There was double-sided sticky tape on the top (bottom) of the "T" so a person could stick it at any desired location in the drawer. All you would have to do is find some appropriately sized aluminum stock, cut it to length, and stick it into each drawer as you desire.
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

STRR wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 5:52 pm My box came with aluminum "T" stock cut to drawer length. There was double-sided sticky tape on the top (bottom) of the "T" so a person could stick it at any desired location in the drawer. All you would have to do is find some appropriately sized aluminum stock, cut it to length, and stick it into each drawer as you desire.
That could work for some of the shallower drawers. I don't see that as an option for the larger drawers as the cost will get pretty high.

Maybe double stick tape some angle on the sides of the drawer and stick / bolt a piece of flat sheet between those two points.

Steve
Technical Ted

Post by Technical Ted »

I have 3D printed some for my Kennedy boxes, but I don't know if that would work out for larger boxes.

Ted
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

Technical Ted wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 6:50 am I have 3D printed some for my Kennedy boxes, but I don't know if that would work out for larger boxes.
Ingenious!

Probably not practical for my use as some of the drawers are 31" wide by 19" depth and mostly 2" to 4" tall.

Steve
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

If you are going to put in permanent dividers -> you can always put in a piece of aluminum angle and pop rivet it to the drawer then cover with felt or whatnot.
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
pete

Post by pete »

Wood isn't out of the question either. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5jnyOWIPB1k
rmac

Post by rmac »

pete wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 1:58 pm Wood isn't out of the question either. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5jnyOWIPB1k
That's what I've been thinking all along. With a bunch of grooves cut into some 1/2" thick wooden strips as wide as the drawer is tall, you could more or less emulate the wildly adjustable setup that Snap-On has done with sheet metal. Or, if you know up front how you want to arrange your dividers, just cut the grooves you need and save yourself a lot of work.

-- Russell Mac

divider_set.png
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

pete wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 1:58 pm Wood isn't out of the question either. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5jnyOWIPB1k
That's a n option, but not right now, as my table saw was one of the things I had to give away for the move.

If I remember, you should not use oak, as there is something corrosive in it (Gerstner toolboxes are poplar on the inside, oak on the outside).

Steve
pete

Post by pete »

Yeah it's the tannic acids within oak that create a rusting problem. Too bad really as oak is one of the stronger woods that's easy to find.
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

SteveM wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 8:46 am (Gerstner toolboxes are poplar on the inside, oak on the outside).
Depends on the box.
I've owned two different Gerstners. Neither of them were made of oak. First one was solid mahogany, which I didn't favor. Interestingly, it was purchased back in early '58 and cost only $75, new. The large one that accommodates a 24" rule. It was replaced with one made of solid walnut, which I still use today. Indications are that box costs about $1,800 today.

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

While shopping at Menards, saw those little bins that hang on a rack on the wall and thought I could use those.
PartsBins.jpg
I might have to take a drawer out and bring it to the store to size them up.

Steve