Adjustable versus sized reamers.

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

AllenH59

Adjustable versus sized reamers.

Post by AllenH59 »

In my course of tool hoarding, I would like to have a few reamers. I see that on ebay, most of the reamer sets are adjustable.. do you guys use adjustable reamers or do you buy them as required to size. I am surprised there was not a set by 16ths or so on ebay.
Bill Shields

Re: Adjustable versus sized reamers.

Post by Bill Shields »

There are both in whatever size you want or need (willing to pay for).
I personally do not like adjustable reamers...but then I have 100's of fixed size that I have accumulated over the years.
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
John Evans

Post by John Evans »

Well to have every size say .060 to 1" you only need 960 of them !! I have both styles and use both. biggest mistake in using adjustable reamers is trying to take tooooo big of a cut at a time. I usually advance the adjusting nut 1/4 turn or less per cut. I also have a set of fixed size reamers .001 under-.001 over which can be handy for shaft fits /press fits etc. That set goes from .124-.126 up to .499-.501. Adjustable's earn their keep when doing one or 2 holes. Fixed when you got a bunch to do. Also you can't do a blind hole with a adjustable. My adjustable stuff runs from 1/8" to 2" as I recall, fixed a little over a inch . And first rule NEVER rotate a reamer backwards !!
www.chaski.com
Russ Hanscom

Post by Russ Hanscom »

Personally, I have never had good success with the six bladed adjustable reamers.
TomB

Post by TomB »

Where are you finding affordable fixed reamers suitable for taper pins ranging from #0x3/4 to #4x1. I looked at McMaster Carr and found the prices were about $77 each. I need them for rebuilding my ShopMaster 3-in-1 and will only put in about 4 holes with each size. I'm totally ignorant about just what the numbers mean and how to use the reamers.

Tom -- thanks in advance for the information
John Evans

Post by John Evans »

Russ Hanscom wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 11:41 am Personally, I have never had good success with the six bladed adjustable reamers.
Yep They are not the easiest thing to use !! I think most people try to take tooo big of cut. I usually only turn the adjusting nuts a 1/6 turn per cut and sometimes less than that. Not my favorite tool but not having ready access to a Sunun hone ya use what ya got!
www.chaski.com
John Evans

Post by John Evans »

TomB wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 11:51 am I'm totally ignorant about just what the numbers mean and how to use the reamers.

Tom -- thanks in advance for the information
Machinery's Handbook will have that info. Try Amazon or eBay for the reamers ,import ones should be fine . Somewhere in my travels years ago I picked up a set ,only needed to use then a few times.
www.chaski.com
AllenH59

Post by AllenH59 »

Does anyone use these under power? my lathe will go pretty slow, 50 rpm, and I have a vernier on my tailstock so I could see how fast I was feeding. I will have time to think about it, as the flooding in British Columbia has no doubt tipped the supply chain, and the ones I ordered from India will not be here any time soon.
John Evans

Post by John Evans »

AllenH59 wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 1:55 pm Does anyone use these under power? my lathe will go pretty slow, 50 rpm, and I have a vernier on my tailstock so I could see how fast I was feeding. I will have time to think about it, as the flooding in British Columbia has no doubt tipped the supply chain, and the ones I ordered from India will not be here any time soon.
I would not recommend using adjustable reamers under power !! The way they are made renders them somewhat frail, the adjusting nuts are a case in point. Use a correct fitting wrench if at all possible as I have seen more than one reamer with the adjusting nuts ruined to un-usability with the nuts deformed from using pliers or poorly adjusted Crescent wrenches. Also in the smaller sizes for sure use a tap wrench to turn them with, the square end on the smaller ones is easily ruined. And when you raise a chip that locks the reamer from turning do not rotate backwards, ruins the edge. Release the pressure by just BARELY moving in reverse ,pull reamer and adjust to a smaller cut and clear the burr. Like I said those adjusting nut are frail ,they only need to be snug enough to keep the blades in place. I rarely lend out my adjustable reamers only to people I know will follow my instructions on proper use !!
www.chaski.com
liveaboard

Post by liveaboard »

I use them under power sometimes.
It mostly works ok.
Broke one once.
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

Russ Hanscom wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 11:41 am Personally, I have never had good success with the six bladed adjustable reamers.
Nor have I. I flat don't like 'em.

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
LIALLEGHENY

Post by LIALLEGHENY »

I don't like 6 blade or expansion reamers either, but I use them frequently enough. Try welding a frame or assembly together and then have your customer tell you they want a little more clearance on the pins, but your now welded frame doesn't fit on the machine anymore....they have saved my butt many times. As much as I am trying to have one of every size reamer up to 2.000", by half thousandths, many jobs don't warrant the expense of buying a new reamer for one hole, maybe to never be used again.

Nyle