Reamers (another thread)

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

SteveM

Reamers (another thread)

Post by SteveM »

I didn't want to hijack the other reamer thread, so I started this one.

I have some aftermarket rims I picked up used for snow tires.

They came without lug nuts, so I ordered them from the manufacturer.

The nuts have a straight shank and then a conical seat, with the straight shank going into the wheel.

They will go at least part way in, but are ridiculously tight. It's not a case of corrosion in the holes.

I'm thinking of using an adjustable reamer to take out the slightest cut, using the drill press for perpendicularity and a floating reamer holder to be sure it's not going in crooked. I could power the drill press or just rotate it by hand (I haven't got my slow-speed attachment installed yet).

The alternative might be to do it by hand or with a hand drill, but I don't think either of those will do a good job.

I also have a small-diameter hone (3/4" min) for doing things like brake cylinders, which would take only a slight bit off and not adversely affect the hole to any measurable degree.

Which option should I pursue (of these or any others)?

Note that right now, I have no lathe setup, having just moved and sold my lathe before moving, only to move to where there aren't any for sale, so the option of turning down the nuts is not an option right now.

Steve
John Evans

Re: Reamers (another thread)

Post by John Evans »

Well if the nuts have a conical seating area ,that is what centers the wheel. Sounds like my Ford ranger. The reamer will do it ,so will a rat tail file! LOL !! Do NOT power feed the adjustable reamer !! A strip of emery cloth wrapped around a split piece of 3/8 rod using the drill also would most likely do it. I would probably grab a cartridge roll on a mandrill in the cordless drill.
www.chaski.com
SteveM

Re: Reamers (another thread)

Post by SteveM »

John Evans wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 12:37 pm Well if the nuts have a conical seating area ,that is what centers the wheel. Sounds like my Ford ranger.
See below for a pic.
John Evans wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 12:37 pm A strip of emery cloth wrapped around a split piece of 3/8 rod using the drill also would most likely do it. I would probably grab a cartridge roll on a mandrill in the cordless drill.
I might try the sandpaper trick first, as it's not a lot of material that needs to be removed.

While the wheels and lug nuts are in storage right now, I found a pic of the lug nuts:
LugNut.jpg
Steve