Way oil!....outrageously priced!

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

RSG

Way oil!....outrageously priced!

Post by RSG »

I bought a gallon of Vactra 2 about 4 years ago and I have used it as necessary but sparingly knowing the cost of it . Well I'm finally out so I went to buy more but the $125.00 (Cnd with tax) cost is ridiculous not to mention shipping fees.

My dad owns a large cement plant here in town so I asked my brother to get a price from their local lubricant supplier and was blown away. My price through them was $110.00, for 5 gallons! There was no question whether to buy it or not...LOL So my question is what gives at these machine shop suppliers???? Why the ridiculous cost?
Vision is not seeing things as they are, but as they will be.
curtis cutter

Re: Way oil!....outrageously priced!

Post by curtis cutter »

https://www.amazon.com/Mobil-100772-Vac ... 993&sr=8-3
52.90 Canadian unless you have a larger tax on it.
Not a super big fan of buying it on Amazon though.
Gregg
Just let go of it, it will eventually unplug itself.
RSG

Post by RSG »

There's duties, tax and shipping going through Amazon.com so being in Canada I go through Amazon.ca = $111.00 Plus shipping so basically the same cost in the end.
curtis cutter

Post by curtis cutter »

RSG wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 2:06 pm There's duties, tax and shipping going through Amazon.com so being in Canada I go through Amazon.ca = $111.00 Plus shipping so basically the same cost in the end.
Interesting as my Amazon says free delivery but I do have to add 7.9% sales tax to that price so $45.16.
Gregg
curtis cutter

Post by curtis cutter »

That is amazing that it would cost you over $60 more in Canada.
Gregg
RSG

Post by RSG »

curtis cutter wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 2:21 pm That is amazing that it would cost you over $60 more in Canada.
Tell me about it! Highway robbery LOL

I should add they don't even have it in stock on Amazon.ca at the moment either.
curtis cutter

Post by curtis cutter »

RSG wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 2:28 pm
curtis cutter wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 2:21 pm That is amazing that it would cost you over $60 more in Canada.
Tell me about it! Highway robbery LOL

I should add they don't even have it in stock on Amazon.ca at the moment either.
Way oil smuggling.... Who'd of thought....
Gregg
pete

Post by pete »

I haven't checked way oil prices for a long time, but that's unreal Ron. My location is like yours so just about everything has to be shipped to me as well. Once I finally decided to go with some Vactra no. 2 then the fun started from the machine tool dealers for those 1 gallon containers. Has to go by truck, expensive exactly as you found. For what's involved, far more expensive for the shipping out of the U.S. KBC Canada would get it to me without much problem, but their cost even then was what left a bad taste. Said to hell with it and then got a price for a 5 gallon bucket from our automotive and industrial supplier. A bit over $85 at that time. For some reason they couldn't get it in one gallon amounts. In hind sight I think that turned out to be the better way to go. Yeah the gallon containers are a lot easier to deal with and store, but not multiple hundred$ easier.

I suspect the tool suppliers prices are what they are because enough will pay it. They probably order enough I'd guess there price for those gallon containers is even lower than what were paying per gallon on those 5 gallon buckets. Maybe I'm wrong, but those one gallon containers seem impossible to get even through the lubrication & fuel bulk plants because I tried that. So how are the tool dealers getting it. I dunno, maybe at least a full skid of cases of one gallon containers needs to be bought to get it that way from Mobile Oil. Going by what some have said on these forums, I suspect many use an alternative in there home shops simply because of the pita to even get way oil as well as those insane costs for anything less than 5 gallons when you do. But I think for what it does it's still worth the effort over anything else I've tried. It ISN'T worth $125 a gallon though.
NP317

Post by NP317 »

With various live steam machinists within 50 mile radius of me, I just send out the word that I'll be getting some oil in a 5-gallon bucket.
I never seem to have difficulty selling 4 gallons of it.
And we have another excuse to get together for a Shop Visit. That's the best result.
RussN
RSG

Post by RSG »

NP317 wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 8:53 pm And we have another excuse to get together for a Shop Visit. That's the best result.
RussN
We do the same up here Russ! There are three reel builders around me that share in supplies and get together for a beverage at each others shop on a regular basis.
Inspector

Post by Inspector »

Just checked online with Quality Cutting Tools (Western Canada supplier of tools and machines) and a gallon is $30.38Cad for a similar product. Shipping would be on top but they are 20 minutes away from me. :) https://shop.qct.tools/catalogue/product/1248078 There still are some places that are not to bad to buy from.

Pete
RSG

Post by RSG »

Thanks for the link Pete!

I ended up getting the 5 gallon pail which was the same cost as a one gallon pail through my dads business.