Oddball Automotive Fitting

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

liveaboard

Re: Oddball Automotive Fitting

Post by liveaboard »

My experience is that it's quicker to make things like that than to find them.
Also cheaper and more satisfying.

If you have a lathe of course.
warmstrong1955

Post by warmstrong1955 »

liveaboard wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 9:23 am My experience is that it's quicker to make things like that than to find them.
Also cheaper and more satisfying.

If you have a lathe of course.

Yup. Sometimes it's time or money, and other times, it's cause the part you need, doesn't exist!
And there is also the case, of adapters that do indeed exist, but are very rare. Take a -14 ORB to -16 JIC adapter for example. They make 'em, but there's not many sitting on a shelf somewhere.

Other Bill
Today's solutions are tomorrow's problems.
liveaboard

Post by liveaboard »

My tractor has at least 3 different hydraulic fitting types; I used to waste time trying to find what I needed.
Online catalogs proved pretty bad; really difficult to know if I'm ordering the right part. Time wasted, aggravating.

On the other hand, 30 minutes on the lathe, cut some odd thread, shoulder or taper as required, or an Oring groove, feel good, maybe harden it just for laughs. A few cents worth of metal and the job can progress.

I keep a lot of rings of various types in house.