Pratt & Whitney History

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

Bill_Cook

Pratt & Whitney History

Post by Bill_Cook »

Being a little bit of a WWII buff, I decided to check to see if the Pratt & Whitney machinery company was related to the aircraft engine company. I got my answer.

https://www.prattandwhitney.com/History/

There's an abbreviated company history a little ways down the page.

Near the bottom is a downloadable book written by the company in 1930. In the fourth section under the heading, 'APPRENTICE TRAINING AT PRATT & WHITNEY' there are some notable names dropped.

I enjoyed the page. Pratt & Whitney was formed about three years after the company I work for.
BC

If there was only one way to do each machining job, the smell of sulphurized cutting oil smoke would have fewer fond memories.
Steggy

Re: Pratt & Whitney History

Post by Steggy »

Bill_Cook wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 4:12 pm Being a little bit of a WWII buff, I decided to check to see if the Pratt & Whitney machinery company was related to the aircraft engine company...

P&W definitely set the standard for dependable aero engines, especially those of the reciprocating era.

A fellow with whom I worked in the 1970s had flown P47 Thunderbolts—powered by the Pratt R2800—in the European theater during World War II. During training, he first heard the advice that when the going got rough, a P47 pilot should “place your trust in God, and Pratt & Whitney.” He told me that any doubt about that advice was erased during a mission when gunfire hit his engine. He said the engine was suddenly running very rough and smoking, but it kept going and got him back to base. After landing, a mechanic had a look and informed him part of one of the cylinders had been shot off and the piston was exposed.
———————————————————————————————————————————————————————
Music isn’t at all difficult.  All you gotta do is play the right notes at the right time!  :D