Mag Chuck Uses

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

ctwo

Mag Chuck Uses

Post by ctwo »

Besides the obvious use on a surface grinder, what other uses can we find for a mag chuck? I've seen them used on mills and lathes before, for light work. I was also thinking it would make a sorta so-so surface plate on the work bench.

Looks like I'll have an extra 5x10 that I might try to sell if I don't find it handy for anything.
Standards are so important that everyone must have their own...
To measure is to know - Lord Kelvin
Disclaimer: I'm just a guy with a few machines...
Bill Shields

Re: Mag Chuck Uses

Post by Bill Shields »

Hmmm...a magnetic surface plate...not sure many of my measuring instruments would care for that.
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
GlennW

Post by GlennW »

ctwo wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 10:26 amLooks like I'll have an extra 5x10 ...
Looks like the perfect excuse to buy another surface grinder!
Glenn

Operating machines is perfectly safe......until you forget how dangerous it really is!
ctwo

Post by ctwo »

Well, yeah, sure, another grinder. I'm about ready for one. I heard they come in automatic. That sure sounds more appealing than I would have expected... I don't think I can find one like that to fit that mag chuck though.
Standards are so important that everyone must have their own...
To measure is to know - Lord Kelvin
Disclaimer: I'm just a guy with a few machines...
jwmelvin

Post by jwmelvin »

ctwo wrote:I heard they come in automatic. That sure sounds more appealing than I would have expected.
I had the exact same experience. The first time using the Toolmaker, I realized the tedium of a manual grinder. I’m currently setting up a 6x18 Micromaster that has automatic longitudinal and cross feeds.