Are the holders for Wedge Vrs piston QCTP interchangeable

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

RSG

Are the holders for Wedge Vrs piston QCTP interchangeable

Post by RSG »

In another thread a fella asks about the quality differences, so on, so I got to looking at them. I have the piston style (unfortunately) and looking at them online it appears as though the tool holders are the same, interchangeable from piston tool posts to wedge tool posts. Can anyone confirm this? I'd like to buy a wedge style but since I have almost 50 holders I'd like to be able to use them on it if possible.

Thanks
Vision is not seeing things as they are, but as they will be.
GlennW

Re: Are the holders for Wedge Vrs piston QCTP interchangeable

Post by GlennW »

They are interchangeable.

One you have used both piston and wedge type tool posts, you won't want to use a piston type again.
Glenn

Operating machines is perfectly safe......until you forget how dangerous it really is!
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

Yes..they are interchangeable...I have both and the holders swap without problems
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
RSG

Post by RSG »

Great! Thanks guys.

I think I'll look into one. The piston style I have has good locking capabilities but it lacks in repeatability and I think that's where the wedge style might be beneficial.
Rich_Carlstedt

Post by Rich_Carlstedt »

Yes, The Aloris and the Aloris copiers control the tool holder in all " 6 Axis's of Freedom "

However beware !
There was an imposter a few years ago that advertised a Wedge Tool Post and it was not a true Aloris Wedge
The Aloris ( and others) use a "Tapered" Wedge.. Very important to control the 6 axis's !
The crap wedge version used a internal Cam to move the wedge outtward --in other words, it moved the wedge outward ( like a Piston post)
instead of a sliding downward as the taper wedge does .
Rich
RSG

Post by RSG »

Rich_Carlstedt wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 11:41 am The crap wedge version used a internal Cam to move the wedge outtward --in other words, it moved the wedge outward ( like a Piston post)
instead of a sliding downward as the taper wedge does .
Rich
Good to know! Thanks Rich! I will look at that to confirm prior to buying one.