Temperature a factor?

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

Harold_V

Re: Temperature a factor?

Post by Harold_V »

I have operated my lathe without coolant for years, as it makes little sense when not in production use. Coolant, allowed to sit idle, will generally start stinking quite quickly as the bugs that make it stink thrive in an anaerobic environment, especially when there's ample oil present, as there is with lathes. Thus, I no longer have the often needed cooling. I have turned to the use of ice when I need to control temperature of a turned object. An absorbent item (even news paper) placed on the ways, and a couple small ice cubes pressed to the heated surface reduces temperature rapidly. Very handy when one isn't afforded the luxury of allowing slow cooling.

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
ctwo

Post by ctwo »

Those cool mist things seem to work ok. I bought a cheap one off ebay.
Standards are so important that everyone must have their own...
To measure is to know - Lord Kelvin
Disclaimer: I'm just a guy with a few machines...
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

You really want to think hard about using those misters if you do not have positive ventilation away from you.
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

What Bill said. I used to run one regularly, but my entire shop was slowly becoming a black sticky mess. I have no clue what it was doing to my lungs.

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
ctwo

Post by ctwo »

Well, I'm too cheap to buy coolant anyway, so I could drink the mist if I got too heated myself. Since I don't use my shop every day, or even every week, I got a hot shot sprayer with ATF and kero to keep the machines from rusting.
Standards are so important that everyone must have their own...
To measure is to know - Lord Kelvin
Disclaimer: I'm just a guy with a few machines...
Fasturn

Post by Fasturn »

I started working at TRW in 1995. While in a jig bore room @ 90° f , I had to put a set of holes in a Aluminium frame 12x14. Was True Position .003 S.
Asked for a temp gage and the manager wanted to fire me !! Had no idea about TCE on metal. One ol boy calmed him down and said I was right. Kept that job for 25 years. On large parts it can be a very big deal !!