Enlarging Involute Cutter IDs

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

gwrdriver

Re: Enlarging Involute Cutter IDs

Post by gwrdriver »

I've done a trial setup using a stub arbor in the vertical spindle, to see if there is clearance and access (to get the cutter to the work), considering the size of the gear blank, and there is so I'll use a stub arbor although the spindle RPM isn't ideal, too high IMHO. My stub arbor is also 1", but considering the time and expense of going around altering (or making) new arbors, or altering cutters. I lso found I have other 22mm saws and cutters, so all things considered the $35 or so for an import 22mm arbor is worth the savings in time and Workshop Esperanto.

BTW, the dummy disk in the trial setup is P/lam-surfaced plywood, to test my tooth calculations (86) and appearance, and also my ability to hit the right number of index holes 86 times!
Attachments
Gears.jpg
GWRdriver
Nashville TN
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

Just because you hit the right holes once does not necessarily mean you will get it correct the next time... :mrgreen:
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

I'd also be concerned about the wear of the cutting edge of the tool. Wood tends to be somewhat abrasive, so the keen edge will be lost after taking so many passes. As Bill alluded, making a setup piece doesn't necessarily guarantee that error won't occur when the desired part is made. If you feel you must become familiar with indexing, try just making dry runs instead of actually using the cutter. Alternately, a blank made of aluminum instead of wood would be better as well. Aluminum isn't abrasive.

The surface speed of the cutter to which you alluded may be more of an issue ----- depending on the resulting surface speed and the alloy of choice for the blank. Aluminum is very forgiving of overspeed, while stainless is not. Hardened steel is less forgiving than leaded steel. Needless to say, keeping the cut wet with oil will help.

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

Been there, done that, have the ugly part to prove it😀
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
arborist

Post by arborist »

Harold_V wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 4:12 pmAlternately, a blank made of aluminum instead of wood would be better
And if you can position your successful test piece in front of the real thing, you will soon tell if your indexing is correct. If the cutter tries to take a bite out of the test piece instead of passing through the tooth space, something is awry.