Air compressor oil

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

NP317

Re: Air compressor oil

Post by NP317 »

Here is a manual hydro pressure test pump assembly that many of us use for our locomotive boiler testing:

https://www.amazon.com/VEVOR-Hydrostati ... b6bc&psc=1

There are several identical units available, with pressures up to ~725 psi. Way more than necessary.

RussN
Steggy

Post by Steggy »

Lest anyone doubt how dangerous an air compressor tank failure can be, take a gander at this video. You’ll have to sign into Youtube to watch it.
———————————————————————————————————————————————————————
Music isn’t at all difficult.  All you gotta do is play the right notes at the right time!  :D
Texer

Post by Texer »

Thanks all; I appreciate all of the help. @rmac, I read the photo link and see that portrait orientation could be the issue, which is how these were taken. The one that worked, I cheated it sideways before uploading to game the system, but it still showed sideways in the preview. That may have been the trick as I switched it back and it turned out viewable.
ALCOSTEAM

Post by ALCOSTEAM »

Back in the late 50's or early 60's my father got a refrigeration compressor unit like that and had to fix the crankshaft bearings in the compressor and we used it for many years. The tank was underneath the compressor skid and quite small so we used a couple portable air tanks as extra capacity.

If you have no idea of the destructive force an exploding air tank can be, do yourself a favor and watch some video's on youtube. I think before I bothered with a hydro I would get one of these remote camera things and pull the plugs and have a look see on the condition of the inside.
RSG

Post by RSG »

Thanks for this Curtis! While my large compressor is new I feel confident in its integrity, my smaller unit however, not so much! I appreciate the awarness!
Vision is not seeing things as they are, but as they will be.
Texer

Post by Texer »

Again, thanks everyone for the safety callouts; I was ignorant about the danger and will not use it any longer since the issues outweigh the fact that like it. I’m a home user and use air intermittently so I have decided to sell it (with full disclosure of course) and buy a new homeowner type to fill tires, etc.

I’ll pop up later with questions about my craftsman metal lathe sometime later though. (Picture of that here to test landscape orientation of image file, which appears to work fine in preview)
Attachments
43C0D337-EC43-43DA-A976-60C1A3F74A93.jpeg
RSG

Post by RSG »

Smart move Texer! Nice little lathe too! Show us some work from it when you get a chance.
Vision is not seeing things as they are, but as they will be.