Best way for Cutting/Milling

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

argonaut

Best way for Cutting/Milling

Post by argonaut »

Hi guys, just found this forum. It looks like it may be helpful when I work on my oddball hobbies. I'm a mechanical engineering student at MIT and I usually have a really good machine shop at my disposal, but over the summer my buddies that run it are not around and I need some advising.

I snagged a few pieces of what is most likely just a mild carbon steel, 1018 or something. It is 1/2 inch thick and I wanted to fab up some different pieces for the rear suspension on my truck.

I have a large, and heavy, 18"x18" piece that I want to cut smaller 2"x6.25" pieces out of so that I may mill them further.

I'd prefer to just cut everything using our water jet, but I can't get in to use it these next few weeks.
Can I use a steel cutting band saw for this, or is the 1/2" too thick? I don't really see any other way of initially cutting it down. I think that at this other shop, all I really have at my disposal are band saws, lathes, mills, dril presses, and some belt sanders.

What would ya'll recommend? Help!

TIA,
Jason
Jacin

Re: Best way for Cutting/Milling

Post by Jacin »

Hi Jason, If it were me I'd keep the big piece for a bigger job and go out and just get some stuff closer to size. As cheap as 1018 is it'd be well worth it time wise. If you REALLY wanted to use it then I'd likely go and find a really big horizontal band saw and set it up and walk away (it's gonna take a while) - but that's the beauty of a horizontal - you set it up to cut then go work on something else - at least until you hear the "thunk" of the drop off.

I suppose there are millions of other ways to cut it all depending on your resources - some less desireable than others. A slitting saw might work easy enough - a plasma cutter or even torches are ok (but leave a semi nasty edge to deal with) - never used one but have seen vertical bandsaws with feed mechanisms - might be ok if you can figure it out. At 1/2" is a little too thick for my nibbler. Know anyone with a BIG power shear??? That'd make quick work of it. All in all I'd keep it and find another hunk of material. ESPECIALLY if the application is remotely critical.
Hanz

Post by Hanz »

I agree with Jacin- that would be lots of wasted time, more than I have anyway... maybe someone can post the link of the online CRS supplier that sells small quantities.
[url=http://www.hanzenginehouse.com]www.hanzenginehouse.com[/url]
Bill_Cook

Post by Bill_Cook »

Can't help but agree with Jason and Hanz, but if you were to walk over to a metal cutting band saw and start cutting, you would be done faster than you could aquire more suitable material. The practice, the experience, and the fact that the project can get done before the enthusiasm wanes may count for something.

No it's not too thick; if progress seems too slow, remember that others have done comparable jobs with hand tools.

bc
BC

If there was only one way to do each machining job, the smell of sulphurized cutting oil smoke would have fewer fond memories.
argonaut

Post by argonaut »

thanks for the advice guys.

Bill, I think you've got it. I'm young, and full of pis and vinegar [img]/ubb/images/graemlins/grin.gif"%20alt="[/img] as my uncle would say. I'd rather take a litle extra time and cut the stuff than wait a nother week and a half to get a couple peices of metal that I'll still haev to machine anyway. Plus I need to have these done by the end of next week, and my only shop time is saturday and monday morning.

Well, I'll try cutting it and see how it goes.

-Jason

more opinions are still welcome!
Hanz

Post by Hanz »

I'd rather take a litle extra time and cut the stuff than wait a nother week and a half to get a couple peices of metal

That's what they made the internet, charge cards, and Federal Express for! LOL

Good luck. (I don't mean that sarcasticly!)
[url=http://www.hanzenginehouse.com]www.hanzenginehouse.com[/url]
Mike_in_Maine

Post by Mike_in_Maine »

Instead of ordering it , try your local hardware store or home center. You would be surprised what you local hardware dealer has tucked away. Just ask
If it isn't fun find a new career
Jacin

Re: Best way for Cutting/Milling (true story)

Post by Jacin »

Hi Bill, You reminded me of a installation a fella at work once encountered. We ship medical equipment all over the world. Well one installation went slightly awry when the installation fixtures got lost in shipment (this particular site was in the Middle East). Anyways the problem was that there are several heavy items 500 pounds or so each and EXTREMELY FRAGILE that get installed using custom brackets and a portable gantry crane. The lifting brackets due to acessibility have to be 3/8" thick by 2 feet long. Anywho the guy from our plant was trying to explain to the local service guy that we NEEDED these fixtures to properly (carefully) lift our fragile cargo (oh yeah did I mention they are about $35K for EACH component) which is why our guy REALLY didn't want to risk any ho-chi-men lifting efforts. Well the local guy just WASN'T gonna be delayed inspite of our guy trying to show him what we needed via the pictures in our installation manual.
ANyways to make a long story only moderately long - he told our guy to be there first thing in the morning and they would ahve everything ready (it was late at night when he told our guy this). ANyways come first light our guy shows up and they were in fact fully ready to lift opur precious cargo. They had worked ALL NIGHT carving out these brackets using a hammer and chisel. Even the holes were crudely added. Edges looked - well you can imagine they looked like it went through a wood chipper!!!! Bottom line - they brackets did FIT and instead of using any fancy dancy lifting hoists they instead got a couple of guys with rods and slid them into the brackets - our guy slide in the bolts. I wish I would have saved a picture!!!!!!!

Motivation is a wonderful thing.