Spindle height recommendations

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

pgrey

Spindle height recommendations

Post by pgrey »

Hi all,

I'm getting my new mill on Wednesday and I'm building a platform for it. It's a small Gorton knee mill that needs to be raised a bit and I'm wondering if there's some rule of thumb regarding the height of the spindle bottom.

I'm thinking that about 60" is about right. I'm 6'1" and hate bending over to see stuff. I'm wondering where the full size mills fall in the spectrum of spindle height, or if anyone has any opinions about this.

Regards,

Peter
Harold_V

Re: Spindle height recommendations

Post by Harold_V »

I've run three different little Gortons, one of which was an 0-16A on a riser, one that stood on the floor as intended, the other a Unimil, also sitting directly on the floor. I preferred to run those that sat directly on the floor. They are (were) built to be operated sitting on a short chair or stool, they are not bench top machines. If you prefer standing, then your height should be dictated by what is comfortable for you. Spindle height varies by manufacturer, there is no standard as far as I know.

Harold
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
pgrey

Re: Spindle height recommendations

Post by pgrey »

Thanks for both answers, Harold!

Peter