Devlieg MicroPoint Tool cutter

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

tphaake

Devlieg MicroPoint Tool cutter

Post by tphaake »

Does anyone have any experience with or shine some light on the Devlieg MicroPoint tool cutter? I am looking at a used one in good condition which I can get for a song. It is minus tool holders. I want a machine to make cutter bits for my lathes, mill, shapers, what have you. This is what I would call a manual machine on a pedestal with fluid. Kinda larger than what I wanted but not so large as to walk away from it for the price. If I got one of the smaller machines it would then need a pedestal or table surface so I am not sure this unit is really to big anyway.

I just want to make sure I can use this thing for making my lathe and shaper bits.

Thanks,

Tim
metalmite

Re: Devlieg MicroPoint Tool cutter

Post by metalmite »

The Devlieg grinders have special tool blocks for their tools with two keyways at 180 degrees in a round hole. You need those graduated rings to mount the boring bits too.
Maybe a riser block to support the tools would be in order, and junk the
rotating crossslide part of the tool.
Should make a nice wet grinder for finishing tools up anyway.
Mite
tphaake

Re: Devlieg MicroPoint Tool cutter

Post by tphaake »

Mite,

The other thing I was thinking was to use some form of tool holder which I could attach to my Rockwell surface grinder. Seems the Rockwell machine that I have has a simillar looking machine that is a tool grinder.

Has anyone tried out using a surface grinder to grind tool bits?

Tim