Setup of roller box tool on turret?

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

hr57

Setup of roller box tool on turret?

Post by hr57 »

After looking back through the old archives for info on roller box tools, I am convinced it would be just the ticket for some of the production items I make. My question is this : how do you go about adjusting them to cut the diameter you want, and approximately how much time does it take? Most of the parts I would be using this tool on would be in runs of less than 100 pieces, and before spending what is a significant amount of money to me, I need to get an idea of how much time there will be involved in setting up and adjusting; will give me an idea how long it will take to pay for itself.
Also, what should I be aware/wary of in considering a used roller box tool?

As always, I sure appreciate your help and advice in this.

Herb

P.S. This will be used in the bed turret of an 11" Logan lathe, if that makes any difference.
Mike_Henry

Re: Setup of roller box tool on turret?

Post by Mike_Henry »

I picked up an old "Turret Lathe Tools" catalog and the book "Turret Lathe Operators Manual" both by Warner & Swasey a while back. Both of these should be useful to you, especially the latter, and they come up on eBay from time to time for $20 or less.

The book has several pages devoted to the setup and use of box tools and a few more on grinding bits. The bits are ground pretty strangely, compared to normal lathe turning bits.
Mike, near Chicago
gglines

Post by gglines »

Herb,

DoN. Nichols on rec.crafts.metalworking does quite a bit of turret lathe work, and I know he's familiar with box tools. He's a great guy, so you might ask over there.

George
jpfalt

Post by jpfalt »

If I can help let me know.

BTW It's just like setting up a follower rest. The only difference is that the turning tool and rollers are mounted off the turret rather than the cross slide. You will probably want to set up off the toolpost rather than the tailstock to allow turning of long parts.
kap

Post by kap »

JPFALT
Been a long time.
Turn a spot to your finish diameter with the crosslide tool.
Than you can set the rollers, and your tool on that spot to proper dia.
The tool should lead the rollers just a little bit (maybe 1/32").
You'll have to fine tune the diameter under full cutting load.
Chamfer your blank (after parting off the last piece) so the tool starts cutting gradually.
The rollers will touch just behind the cutting edge, and before you are cutting full load.
That's one way,
kap
Mike_Henry

Post by Mike_Henry »

Well, someone emailed me for the info, so I scanned in Chapter 7 of the W&S Turret Lathe book and emailed it off to him in PDF format. This chapter has 7 pages and covers turning operations and has some info on box tools and bit grinding.

If anybody else wants a copy and can take a 1 MB file, email me and I'll send it off as time permits. I'm on a dial-up line and emails this large render my system pretty much useless for any other on-line activity.

Mike, near Chicago
Mike, near Chicago