ideas for right angle spindle

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

JimGlass

ideas for right angle spindle

Post by JimGlass »

I'm looking at a job that requires a 3/16 hole to be countersunk from inside a piece of 2 15/16 inside diameter tubing. I'm thinking an air ratchet with a countersink attached to the socket wrench drive??? Any better ideas out there.

I found this on Ebay. It might work after removing the chuck and mounting the countersink in the chucks place
Thanks,
Jim
Tool & Die Maker/Electrician, Retired 2007

So much to learn and so little time.

www.outbackmachineshop.com
Doug_C

Re: ideas for right angle spindle

Post by Doug_C »

Depends how much offset loading you may encounter to press the cutter into the metal.

If the distance was not too great from the end opening. You might consider a reverse countersink setup?

Reverse countersink and spotfacers

After the hole is drilled, the mandrel is dropped down through the hole, the countersink is put on the mandrel and turned in reverse pulling up on the quill. At least no gear head is needed.

Another idea would be a BP Quillmaster with the qra head or BP's No2 90deg attachments if they would fit your spindle.

DC
Bill D.

pancake drill

Post by Bill D. »

do a search on bay for pancake drill, aircraft drills, aircraft countersinks, countersink cages, and rivet shavers. here is a link to one for sale now. it uses threaded bits. 1/4 28 is the most common shank size. the come in different lengths.
the piloted countersink idea is the quickest way to solve this problem. I did that on a drawer that needed a bigger counterbore for the knob handle. made a longgg pilot out of some drill rod and grabbed that in the chuck from the other side of the board.(no room for the drill motor and bit inside)
Bill D.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... eName=WDVW
Greg_S

Post by Greg_S »

Hi Jim,
I measured my Dremel right angle head last night after reading your post and it measures 2.3" to collet nut. If you have that attatchment for your Dremel, you might get it out and take a look?
Greg
JimGlass

Post by JimGlass »

Well, I guess I'll build one. The material is cast iron in the 30-40 RC range. I have yet to see the piece but assume it will be tough stuff to machine. This right angle head will need to be sturdy for this job. Every time I make some gizmo I later wondered what I did without it.

The design is all in my head so far. Already ordered some bevel gears and oil light bearings from MSC. Already started on some parts but will need to see the bevel gears before knowing exactly what to do next.

I'll post a pic when this thing is done.
Jim

mm NE Iowa

Post by mm NE Iowa »

Jim,

If you are going to make one, possibly more compact than bevel gears would be a pair of cogged pulleys. Think of a Dynafile with the idler being threaded to accept "aircraft" style countersinks. This could then be powered by a cheap right angle die grinder throttled down to about 5000 RPM. Just a thought. -- mm
loren

Post by loren »

Jim, if that countersunk hole is a through hole what about pulling a cutter from the bottom? I can't think how it'd help but whatever.LOL
henriksen

Re: pancake drill

Post by henriksen »

MM's suggestion about a cogged pulley driven spindle gets my vote. we used to make a long drop right angle attachment for cat 50 taper tools that pulled 25 hp.
Scale this down to your needs and figure out how to mount it on your mill. Printer drive belt sized cogs? Make a spindle that takes dremel collets or er 16's
Hello

Post by Hello »

reliabletools generally have these type of tools on ebay. I purchased one from them a couple of years ago. they also had screw in counter sinks to go with it.
I had to make an adapter, the rt angle drill had 3/8 thread in it and the drills had 1/4. it worked for that job. if they don't have it listed email them with a picture. they have a large warehouse of tools. walk the ailes and drool. I was able to work in a 2 and 1/2 inch space. I have nothing to do with the company other than buying some tools.
re
hermwill@cox.net
JimGlass

Post by JimGlass »

I'm getting close. Got the gears and bearings today.

As you can see the drive shaft screws into the gear box with a special 1 1/8 - 20 thread. I made 2 spindles to hold drills. One spindle for 1/4 in shanks and another for 5/16 shanks. I'll take it to work tomorrow and broach keyways in the gears and it should be ready to try out.

The gears will still need to be shimed into position.

I really do not have that much time invested , so far.

Can someone show me a cog pulley belt. I can't picture such a thing.

Jim