What's this thing?

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

J Tiers

What's this thing?

Post by J Tiers »

Odd item, looks like a grinder rest (clamp a flicker rest in it) , but why would it have a MT2 shank? Notice that it says "P&W" on it. That is the only ID on it, aside from a buzz-pen marking of "USAC".

I posted the pics on the HSM board and another person has one like it. Obviously it was a purpose-made item.

The two blade-like items rotate freely to any angle unless clamped by the lttle thumbnut, which does not hold tightly.

Nobody knows what it is, though. (Nor do I)
Harold_V

Re: What's this thing?

Post by Harold_V »

Possibly a spade drill. If the knob clears the radius of the insert, that's likely what it is.

Harold
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
J Tiers

Post by J Tiers »

I'd think it was WAY too unstable for that. The thumbnut would not hold anything that required any pressure. It would just let the piece tilt to the side.

And the two tapered pieces are not "sharp", just tapered to an edge of maybe 20 thou. Nor are they the same size as each other, as you can see. They just are not cutters.

Not only that, but one edge would of course be "dragging" the wrong direction.

Something could have been clamped by them. But it would have been off-center.
willjordan

Post by willjordan »

I'd guess that it might be for deburring holes. The bevels are right if the two wings are pushed opposite directions. It might do a bor of a chamfer.
grace & peace
will

[url=http://willjordan.com]Will's Web Pages[/url]
Doug_C

Post by Doug_C »

I see that the shaft of the pin has a flat on its side next to the shoulder, I would not expect the pin to be for tightening. If anything, that flat was to keep it from rotating. Can this be taken apart?

We don't know if this was its original as built form. The Pratt and Whitney stamping may be inconsequential. Looks to be about a 1 or 2 Morse taper. Pratt did make a lot of special purpose machinery. The fact that there is another one answers those questions somewhat.

I cannot tell from the pictures if the face of either leaf is on center. So that it could be used as a cutter center height checker in a tailstock.

It does not look like anything viable to spin on center. If the leaves were meant to float. I suppose using it in a drill press as a setup tool, one could tell by the triangle leaf, if the surface were perpendicular to the spindle center line. The knife looking edges seem to suggest a cutting operation, but not the way they are mounted.

DC
Ralph_Monroe_Mi

Post by Ralph_Monroe_Mi »

P&W may mean Pratt and Whitney. [img]/ubb/images/graemlins/confused.gif"%20alt="[/img]
J Tiers

Post by J Tiers »

I see that the shaft of the pin has a flat on its side next to the shoulder, I would not expect the pin to be for tightening. If anything, that flat was to keep it from rotating. Can this be taken apart?

The flat is on the threaded shaft. You can't see the theads, since the thumbnut (item with hole in it) in the other photo blocks them. The flatted part keeps the shaft from rotating when you tighten the large thumb nut.
We don't know if this was its original as built form. The Pratt and Whitney stamping may be inconsequential. Looks to be about a 1 or 2 Morse taper. Pratt did make a lot of special purpose machinery. The fact that there is another one answers those questions somewhat.

The other one is substantially identical, so whatever it is it is likely "commercially made" in this form. It is an exact fit for MT2. It fits in a morse socket, and measures up against another MT2 taper correctly
I cannot tell from the pictures if the face of either leaf is on center. So that it could be used as a cutter center height checker in a tailstock.

That is pretty sensible as a thought....maybe the best idea yet.

One face of the flat portion at end of the "spindle" portion is close to center. I have not checked to see if it is *exactly* on center. If so, a "leaf" could be faced towards it and would provide a center reference.
It does not look like anything viable to spin on center.

I agree. It isn't made substantially enough to hold for any sort of cutting. And, the "leaves" are not sharp, just tapered, with a small flat at the narrow side. Nor is there any threaded hole for a drawbar.
If the leaves were meant to float. I suppose using it in a drill press as a setup tool, one could tell by the triangle leaf, if the surface were perpendicular to the spindle center line. The knife looking edges seem to suggest a cutting operation, but not the way they are mounted.

Yeah, as a sort of center finder it would be reasonable also. For a drillpress I would expect it to be "tanged", but it is not. The back of the taper is faced, but apparently not finished There is a center hole from manufacturing in it, IIRC (I'm not near it now).

I suspect the tapered edge is functional to fit somewhere, or the like, not at all as a cutter. It could just be typical "finishing", with a slight secondary function to indicate which surface is the reference and which is not.

I don't know if both "leaves" were intended to be used together, or one at a time. They could be different sizes to fit into different places, and be both threaded on the shaft simply to keep them together..

As to why they tilt, I also have no idea. As a center indicator, there would not be a lot of reason for it, although it could be convenient.

Thanks for the thoughts!
J Tiers

Post by J Tiers »

Here is a pic of the pieces.

The center reference seems to be the winner, as the shank is 0.500 and the flat is at 0.250. The "blades" are surface-ground on the side opposite the taper.

I don't know if it is a type of edge finder, or if it is a tool height setter, or what sort of reference it is supposed to be for. But evidently it is intended to provide a surface that is on -center.

Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

Sure blows the hell out of my idea it might be a spade drill.

Frankly, I can't see any practical use for it. Even as a center gage, it wouldn't be easy to install in a lathe and have it parallel to the ways.

Harold
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
Doug_C

Post by Doug_C »

I too had reservations on the centering concept, application wise.

Then I was thinking if it could be used as an indexing finger stop. Like in grinding cutters.

I'm not so sure if Jerry's thought on an edge finder is too far off either. If when setting a drill center on an indexing tool post turret. The part OD might be used to put the turret tool holder bore at a known reference point, then crank it in the radius distance of the part OD?

Since we are left to speculate its original purpose with so little to go on. Looks like it could be used to scrape paint pretty good! [img]/ubb/images/graemlins/grin.gif"%20alt="[/img]
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

Since we are left to speculate its original purpose with so little to go on. Looks like it could be used to scrape paint pretty good! [img]/ubb/images/graemlins/grin.gif"%20alt="[/img]

Chuckle!

You may have hit right on it, Doug!

One thing I'd have considered, had it had only one loose member in the holder, would be a device that would hold an item in place in a chuck with tailstock pressure while tightening chuck jaws. I often use a large plate with a center hole to do that very thing. By applying tailstock pressure lightly, it would seat the part evenly, thanks to its ability to swivel, but the strange angle towards center on two opposing pieces of different sizes makes absolutely no sense. I ruled that out long ago.

Lets face it. The old guys knew more than we do. [img]/ubb/images/graemlins/blush.gif"%20alt="[/img]

Harold
lathegear

Post by lathegear »

If I had several of those I would use them to make quick work of setting the compound rest for cutting different tapers [img]/ubb/images/graemlins/laugh.gif"%20alt="[/img]. Scott.