Supply Air for Air Bearing Fixture

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

Carrdo

Supply Air for Air Bearing Fixture

Post by Carrdo »

I recently acquired a Harig Air-Flo air bearing fixture in good shape and I would like to keep it that way.

In the operating instructions it recommends that the supply air line be fitted with a dirt and moisture fixture but no specifics are given.

I called Harig and the technical rep. indicated that it is most important to have dry air to avoid any possibility of pitting of the spindle surfaces but again they would not give specifics on any make or model of air line moisture trap or air line filters to use.

The operating instructions indicate that the spindle floats on a .0001" film of air.

Having only a home shop, I have a home built air compressor ( with no moisture trap or air filters). I plan to use this compressor with the fixture only at the recommended supply pressure of 80-100 psi. I can adjust the air flow rate from the compressor.

I know this is probably basic to a lot of you, but do you have any specific recommendations as to make(s) and model(s) of moisture traps and air filters to use in this situation?

I have access to all of the leading industrial suppliers.

Thanking you in advance for any recommendations.
Michael_Az

Re: Supply Air for Air Bearing Fixture

Post by Michael_Az »

The one I use for spray painting is fantastic. It uses a round filter about the size of a roll of toilet paper. Unfortunatly I can't remember the name of it and will have to look tomorrow at the shop. Another good thing is it doesn't cost a lot, about $30 I think. If you run the air spindle for a lenght of time it might be a good idea to buy an extra 50' of air hose and coil it up in a container of cold water before it gets to your air bearing. It is important to cool the air before you use it to condense the moisture from the air. In my shop the air runs through 50' of iron pipe, filters and traps before I use it. Never get any water.
Michael
Saimp 2 HP 10 X 44 mill, #2 Cin Horz Mill, Cholchester 13" lathe, LeBlond 15" Dual Drive.
Doozer

Post by Doozer »

MotorGuard filters look like a TP roll. They work great. They have a web site. I buy mine thru McMasterCarr. --Doozer
Michael_Az

Post by Michael_Az »

Doozer has it!. Here is a linc to a page that shows a good photo of it. They should be easy to find at an auto parts store or auto paint supply store.
http://www.2002tii-restoration.org/tools/compressor.htm
Michael
Saimp 2 HP 10 X 44 mill, #2 Cin Horz Mill, Cholchester 13" lathe, LeBlond 15" Dual Drive.