Keeping with the theme

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

Doug_C

Keeping with the theme

Post by Doug_C »

My shop is finally coming together. Now that I have my machines back in operation I can sprint to complete what I have had in the "wing it as I go" plans.

Here is a picture of my door lock mechanism. Complete with some Bridgeport handles for door knobs, since this is a machine shop. Image

The blocks are nylon and the rack material is 1/2" x 1/2". There will be extension nuts welded to one end of the rack to attach to some all-thread which will have about 1ft of 1/2" stainless rod to act as the upper and lower door locking pins.

Of course it is pure overkill silliness, but that is what my home shop is for. I made it because I wanted to, not because I really need it. It is so nice to get my stuff out of boxes after the big move and return it to service once again.

DC

Doug_C

Re: Keeping with the theme

Post by Doug_C »

Here is the exploded view of the parts. I still have a few things to finish these up as far as the drive pin off the handle and clearance holes for the welded nuts for the rack. Then I will need a mounting bracket in the door.

For what it is worth, my doors are 2x4 construction and appear to be part of the normal siding on the house. No handle access from the outside.

DC

jkilroy

Post by jkilroy »

I love the lockset. I have been toying with designs for a while. I am going to replace my shop door, which has lots of glass, with a solid door.

However, concerning 'hidden doors', you're local fire marshall is probably not going to like that setup one bit. With a hidden door they might just go straight through the wall if they need to enter to fight a fire. Same could be said for other emergency workers. What if you are working alone and injure yourself? Are people going to be able to get to you inside if you pass out?
Doug_C

Post by Doug_C »

JK,

Is what I have done was convert a breeze way of 500sq ft that was between the house and the garage. It already had a roof and a concrete floor. I put up walls at the front and back. The house and garage still have accesses, so it is not a real issue to me. I don't see it any different if it were turned into a room with a pool table. As I have it now, there are 4 exits and 2 entry points. Seems adequate, but you may be right about the fire code. Dunno and I ain't asking any official bureaucrat to come tell me!

If this were a standard door and not built up from scratch. I would have just gone with regular locks and dead bolts. I wanted the concealed look and some benefit from the insulation to cold and sound deadening. So far it is looking like a winning combination.

I can't complain too much, since it was my idea! [img]/ubb/images/graemlins/blush.gif"%20alt="[/img]

DC
Doug_C

Post by Doug_C »

The installation of the lock went as planned.

I made some nylon bushings to go into the concrete floor and upper beam. The door also has bushings for the rods to slide in. Bondo was used as a filler to lock the bushings in place. I just put 5 grooves in the bushing OD for the bondo to grip the bushing in place. This also helped align the frame bushings to the door bushings.

Now for insulation, facing and trim to finish it off.

DC

Doug_C

Post by Doug_C »

Up close of the mounting.

jkilroy

Post by jkilroy »

That is so sweet. Since you used a Bridgeport handle, have you thought about adding a powerfeed to open and close!!!! [img]/ubb/images/graemlins/laugh.gif"%20alt="[/img]
Doug_C

Post by Doug_C »

Well, I had considered a remote keyless entry solenoid. That would be along the lines of power feed.

But...... then I might as well go with a mock digital readout with LOCKED and UNLOCKED from Acu-rite too! [img]/ubb/images/graemlins/grin.gif"%20alt="[/img]

DC
Doug_C

Re: Keeping with the theme *Complete*

Post by Doug_C »

Well here is the finished project in its completed form. I made the die and had the trays Thermoformed and CNC'd them on my mill to allow access if any future work needs done. Nice to still have contacts in past occupations.

DC